Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need help

619 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TexasR.N. 
#1 ·
1993 F350, turbo diesel, 50 gal transfer flo fuel tank in bed.
Fuel filter light comes on. I changed the filter and it still comes on. Also changed the lift pump. At idle or decelration, light goes out. If I stand on the throttle, it sputters like its not getting enough fuel. Haven't tried it on rear tank but will on next trip to town. Is there electric fuel pumps in the tanks? and if so, is there a way to check each to see it it is working without having to drop the tanks?

Also tach quit working. Is it electric or mechanical? Is there a systematic way of checking to find fault?
Thanks
Lee

#2 ·
the tach is probably the tach sensor mounted right on fromt of the motor , a two wire sensor ,its right in front of the injection pump, there are no electric pumps in the tank ,the last truck that i had that did that , the lift pump and filter fixed it , you may have a restriction coming from the tank , there is a filter on the rail on the right side along the frame near the switching valve

#3 ·
I had just bought the truck and it was on the rear tank and the light never came on, with the other two full. I decided to switch to the front to make sure that the transfer system was working and to keep from paying the exorpant fuel prices in N CA. I was soon to head south and the cheapest fuel was at the Flying J in Ripon where I would fill them all up. Shortly after I switched tanks the problem started. I figured it may be water or something in the front tank since they hadn't been used for awhile and I was in an area with high humidity that could slowly put condensation in the tanks. I have no idea how long the tanks were empty or low. He filled all tanks as part of purchase price. Maybe there was junk in the front tank also, I'll check/replace the other filter you talked about. Thank You

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.