clearance lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clearance lights

hey, im new here.

Once i mentioned clearance lights to somone. They asked "what are they for?"
and, other than just looks, i couldnt really find an answer.

so i was wondering, is there a text book reason for clearance lights other than looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
generally its a size thing (related to GVW I think... )

I have read it somewhere, but I'm sure someone will chime in -- I just know they do have a reason to denote size/weight or something..
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the ORG.!

They are there so people know to pull out in front of you in the dark, so it seems
Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM

im really curious about this now

Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

This is what I found in my search...

D.O.T. required on all vehicles over a certain width 80" or wider. Dually trucks are wide enough fender to fender to require them, as are Humvees. Single rear wheel trucks do not require them but many folks put them on because they look good. Has to do with identifying wide vehicles.

Also, if you are pulling a trailer that is wider than 80", and the trailer does not have front marker lights on it, the ones on the roof of the truck satisfy the requirement. This is also true for trucks with service bodies or campers that are wider than the requirement.

The width is anything over 80" requires the cab clearance lights in the front and 3 closely spaced lights in the rear center of truck or trailer.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 PM

thanks, thats what i wanted to know
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to jorlee Send a message via Yahoo to jorlee
For those dealing with CDL's and FMCSA Regs here ya go

393.11 <---- Link to Graph and text

Identification lamps (front). See footnote #1.
Amber
Front
As close as practicable to the top of the vehicle, at the same height, and as close as practicable to the vertical centerline of the vehicle (or the vertical centerline of the cab where different from the centerline of the vehicle) with lamp centers spaced not less than 152 mm (6 inches) or more than 305 mm (12 inches) apart. Alternatively, the front lamps may be located as close as practicable to the top of the cab.
All three on the same level as close as practicable to the top of the motor vehicle.
B, C

Footnote-1 Identification lamps may be mounted on the vertical centerline of the cab where different from the centerline of the vehicle, except where the cab is not more than 42 inches wide at the front roofline, then a single lamp at the center of the cab shall be deemed to comply with the requirements for identification lamps. No part of the identification lamps or their mountings may extend below the top of the vehicle windshiel

Clearance lamps. See footnotes #8, 9, 10, 15 & 17.
Amber
One on each side of the front of the vehicle.
One on each side of the vertical centerline to indicate overall width.
Both on the same level as high as practicable.
B, C, D, G, H

Red
One on each side of the rear of the vehicle.
One on each side of the vertical centerline to indicate overall width.
Both on the same level as high as practicable.
B, D, G, H

Footnote-8 Pole trailers shall have on the rearmost support for the load: (1) two front clearance lamps, one on each side of the vehicle, both on the same level and as high as practicable to indicate the overall width of the pole trailer; (2) two rear clearance lamps, one on each side of the vehicle, both on the same level and as high as practicable to indicate the overall width of the pole trailer; (3) two rear side marker lamps, one on each side of the vehicle, both on the same level, not less than 375 mm (15 inches) above the road surface; (4) two rear reflex reflectors, one on each side, both on the same level, not less than 375 mm (15 inches) above the road surface to indicate maximum width of the pole trailer; and (5) one red reflector on each side of the rearmost support for the load. Lamps and reflectors may be combined as allowed in 393.22.

Footnote-9 Any motor vehicle transporting a load which extends more than 102 mm (4 inches) beyond the overall width of the motor vehicle shall be equipped with the following lamps in addition to other required lamps when operated during the hours when headlamps are required to be used.
(1) The foremost edge of that portion of the load which projects beyond the side of the vehicle shall be marked (at its outermost extremity) with an amber lamp visible from the front and side.
(2) The rearmost edge of that portion of the load which projects beyond the side of the vehicle shall be marked (at its outermost extremity) with a red lamp visible from the rear and side.
(3) If the projecting load does not measure more than 914 mm (3 feet) from front to rear, it shall be marked with an amber lamp visible from the front, both sides, and rear, except that if the projection is located at or near the rear it shall be marked by a red lamp visible from front, side, and rear.

Footnote-10 Projections beyond rear of motor vehicles. Motor vehicles transporting loads which extend more than 1,219 mm (4 feet) beyond the rear of the motor vehicle, or which have tailboards or tailgates extending more than 1,219 mm (4 feet) beyond the body, shall have these projections marked as follows when the vehicle is operated during the hours when headlamps are required to be used:
(1) On each side of the projecting load, one red side marker lamp, visible from the side, located so as to indicate maximum overhang.
(2) On the rear of the projecting load, two red lamps, visible from the rear, one at each side; and two red reflectors visible from the rear, one at each side, located so as to indicate maximum width.

Footnote-15
(1) For the purposes of Section 393.11, the term "overall width" refers to the nominal design dimension of the widest part of the vehicle, exclusive of the signal lamps, marker lamps, outside rearview mirrors, flexible fender extensions, and mud flaps.
(2) Clearance lamps may be mounted at a location other than on the front and rear if necessary to indicate the overall width of a vehicle, or for protection from damage during normal operation of the vehicle.
(3) On a trailer, the front clearance lamps may be mounted at a height below the extreme height if mounting at the extreme height results in the lamps failing to mark the overall width of the trailer.
(4) On a truck tractor, clearance lamps mounted on the cab may be located to indicate the width of the cab, rather than the width of the vehicle.
(5) When the rear identification lamps are mounted at the extreme height of a vehicle, rear clearance lamps are not required to be located as close as practicable to the top of the vehicle.

Footnote-17 A boat trailer subject to this part whose overall width is 2032 mm (80 inches) or more need not be equipped with both front and rear clearance lamps provided an amber (front) and red (rear) clearance lamp is located at or near the midpoint on each side so as to indicate its extreme width.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

I knew I had heard it before, but couldn't remember.. It was bugging me, so had to go find it..hehe
Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 PM

uhh... damn. thatll do i think
Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
one day at a time

All I know is they look cool... So much that I had to put on a set that I got for christmas the other day... Just a factory set, I'll upgrade to the clear recon lenses sometime down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.