Buying a 99 f-350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a 99 f-350

hello i am looking for a truck that can tow a lot over and over again. Im looking at a 99 f350 7.3 powerstroke and i was wondering if you think it is a good choice. I plan on towing 13k-14k gvw from Maine to Florida a few times a month. and was wondering how long the engines/transmissions last? if the truck can handle this as much as i need it to? how reliable are they. what is the maintenance schedule like? what are common problems with the f350s? and any other advice that you think will help
Thank you
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I tow alot with mine all over the place. I have 231k on the orginal motor, runs great. The trany is my second one, first one was stock rebuild each lasted 100k, so i went ahead and built this one to be my last, and it tows like a muel. IT wouldnt be surpising to see many of these motors with 400-500k, It has never left me stranded. I would carry a spare CPS with you. I change the oild every 3-4k
Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The big thing is to keep on the routine maintenance, and make sure it isn't junk to start out with. The 7.3 is a great motor and should make you very happy.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

A little reading here to help you make your decision. I'm not an expert and not trying to sound like one, just some things I've learned from my own expierience. As silverF250 said, routine maintenance is the key, especially for the transmission if it's an automatic. Regular oil and filter changes are also vital to the longevity of the 7.3. Ask for service records but good luck as a lot of folks don't keep them. Find a reputable Ford dealer and have them do a pre purchase inspection, trust me, it's worth the money. Parts for these trucks are not cheap. These trucks are known for eating brake rotors if towed hard and the brakes are not maintained. Good quality brake rotors and pads will run you over $600.00 for just the parts. Fuel injectors get into thousands of dollars if replacing all eight. Make sure they do a full diagnostic check including a compression test and a visual inspection of the turbo charger. The intake and filter housing design on the 99's are not the best Ford ever designed. The filter tends to lift up in the housing and let dirt bypass the filter. If there's a K&N filter installed, be especially suspicious as they are one of the worst for letting dirt through. If the turbo wheel has erosion, that's why and it's a good bet dirt has been ingested into the engine, that's the reason for the compression test. Make sure they go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. I bought my truck out of state and had a dealer I knew nothing about do the inspection. I might as well have burned the money because the truck had a lot of obvious problems I discovered once it was mine. Also ask the owner if it has ever had a performance chip installed. There's nothing wrong with the chip if the truck has not been abused. If they say no, double check by looking at the PCM. It's on the driver's side of the cab, just to the right of the parking brake. If the end of the box has tape on it or an empty rectangular hole in it, it's a good bet it's been chipped. At least you'll know if they are being honest with you. If you do get one of these trucks and are going to tow, chip it, you'll love it! DP Tuners has a lot of programs for towing, economy and downright foolishness. The truck pulls great and can handle your weights easily.

There were two varients of the truck in 99, refered to as early and late 99. Build dates prior to 12/07/98 are early models, on and after 12/07/98 are late 99's. One of the links will tell you the difference between the two. There's nothing wrong with the early model truck, I own one and love it.

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

maintancence schedule

Differences between early99 and late99-03 trucks

Last edited by 37Driver; 12-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you for your help also how often should the timing belt/chain be changed? 60k?100k?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

No belt or chain.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

really? then how does the timing work right?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:54 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
man it would be so smart on your part!! they will last along time if you just maintain them!!! stay up on the maintance and you will have a truck forever!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Emergency Services

i bought a truck muck like the one you are describing. The 7.3 is AWESOME!!!!!!!i would not trade this truck for anything. also.. get it chiped a good chip will make all the difference in the world. i tow crap for work all the time and it has no problem pulling 10k GVWR around all these mountains. if you get it looked at and it is in good shape i say get it. mine has 215,000 on it and as long as you maintain it it should last forever (500,000K or so)
Old 12-23-2007, 04:15 PM

I have a 99 crew cab duallie with a Powerstroke (150,000 miles). I tow a 24ft by 8.5ft trailor with my stockcar and a whole bunch of tools. If it's a vehicle in my flee,t the hammer WILL be down. I wouldn't trade my truck for any other truck period. I also do routine maintenance without sacrifice,best oil,grease,brakes,tires,coolant,batteries ect. I race to much and generally late to a track that is far away. Slow and steady aint for me. These trucks are built tough no questions asked. Don't let some chevy or dodge guy brain wash you and tell you different. To me, if it's a 1 ton truck with a diesel, it better be tough. I am completly satisfied with my truck! -Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.