need help with tuning for mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool need help with tuning for mileage

Like most people, I'm getting nervous with the current fuel prices. Here in NE Ohio, I've seen deisel prices as high as $3.25. My current truck is a 97 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, 2wd, 7.3, 5spd w/ 4:10 gears. I've added an open air filter, 18k tuner, and a complete 4" exhaust from the turbo back (3" downpipe). With this combination and my driving habits, I cannot seam to break 13mpg. My next step is to add a tuner. I'm currently leaning towards the Edge Evolution. Can anyone give me some feedback as to which will get me the best mileage. I'm also considering changing the gearing out to 3:55's. Has anyone else done this, are there any great downfalls by doing this. I tow heavy (20K+) but not that often. I usually tow under 10k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsingerk View Post
Like most people, I'm getting nervous with the current fuel prices. Here in NE Ohio, I've seen deisel prices as high as $3.25. My current truck is a 97 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, 2wd, 7.3, 5spd w/ 4:10 gears. I've added an open air filter, 18k tuner, and a complete 4" exhaust from the turbo back (3" downpipe). With this combination and my driving habits, I cannot seam to break 13mpg. My next step is to add a tuner. I'm currently leaning towards the Edge Evolution. Can anyone give me some feedback as to which will get me the best mileage. I'm also considering changing the gearing out to 3:55's. Has anyone else done this, are there any great downfalls by doing this. I tow heavy (20K+) but not that often. I usually tow under 10k.
Try checking the tire pressure and inflate to recommended pressure on the side of the tire. Then try lowering the tailgate and test milage. If this helps and it did on mine get an air gate that allows the air to flow through.
I have a hypertech programmer and just drove on a 1000 mile trip and got 18.8 mpg at ~65 to 70 mph. If you drive faster you will get lower mileage.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like we drive the same truck. I have a superchip tunner ( I really like it) with about the same mods, and I get about the same mileage( although I am not a consertive driver). I was wondering about the gear swap also. I curious if anyone knows anything about it.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Since I originally posted, I've purchased the Edge Evolution programmer. This has helped significantly. On highway runs, I've gotten as much as 21mpg. Around town, I still only get 14-15mpg. I just can't keep my foot out of it. I'm running the programmer on the middle setting without the 18K tuner turned on. With the 18k and the Edge, the truck starts to stutter (miss). I'm probably going to remove the 18k and leave it out of the truck. My next step is to try and get my air cleaner to a position to only draw cold air by making some kind of intake. I'm still tossing the idea around to change the gearing.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Since I originally posted, I've purchased the Edge Evolution programmer. This has helped significantly. On highway runs, I've gotten as much as 21mpg. Around town, I still only get 14-15mpg. I just can't keep my foot out of it. I'm running the programmer on the middle setting without the 18K tuner turned on. With the 18k and the Edge, the truck starts to stutter (miss). I'm probably going to remove the 18k and leave it out of the truck. My next step is to try and get my air cleaner to a position to only draw cold air by making some kind of intake. I'm still tossing the idea around to change the gearing.
I installed a K&N air filter and got an increase in fuel consumption, about 1.5 mpg. This filter is a high flow filter that is cleanable.
Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a Summit brand air filter, similar to K&N cone style. The problem I have is that it is installed right at the turbo inlet. The problem I see with this is that it is always pulling in hot air. I need to find a way to get cold air in.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry camper bill but wind tunnel testing has proved that you are better off with the tailgate on and up on a pickup truck. I don't understand all I know about it but I think the gate creates some kind of low preasure area in the back which reduces drag or something like that.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 AM

Hey guys

Did you folks see the test of the K&N filter. It was bad - almost like running w/out a filter. I had 1 but have gone back to disposable after reading the test. i don't want to trash my engine. what else is available washable that really does a good job?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmer View Post
Sorry camper bill but wind tunnel testing has proved that you are better off with the tailgate on and up on a pickup truck. I don't understand all I know about it but I think the gate creates some kind of low preasure area in the back which reduces drag or something like that.
the tail gate creates a "pillow" of air in the bed of the truck which causes the air passing over the cab of the truck to go completely over the bed and tailgate while driving. with the gate down the airflow flows over the cab and directly down onto the bed of the truck causing a downforce creating drag inturn reducing MPG
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
I'm also considering changing the gearing out to 3:55's. Has anyone else done this, are there any great downfalls by doing this. I tow heavy (20K+) but not that often.
you won't have such good luck towing 20k lbs with 3:55s...
Get you a vegistroke kit and burn used vegi oil - it's free fuel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.