?? On buying a diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
?? On buying a diesel

I am looking into buying a diesel. This would be my first and I will be able to spend between 12 and 15k so I am looking at a used one. What to look for and how many miles should I stay away from. What is the usual life ect.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't know nuttin....

to the forum

Are you looking at PSD or Cummins?
Stay away from Durasucks (chevy).
Cummins in an awsome powerplant but the truck wrapped around it sucks. Ford is my preference but i truely like the cummins motor...that inline 6 is tough! The PSD is great also, just more expensive to maintain. For $15k you might be able to get into something like a 2001 or maybe a 2002 with 7.3 liter - great motor - and maybe find one under 100k miles if you look. Depending on what you want, ie; extended cab, crewcab, 4x4 lariat package, etc. The price will depend on that. Get an XLT and they have all the bells and whistles you could want. And pick your wheelbase preference and start shopping! Look on Ebay - theres alot of nice fords on there if you don't mind the delivery fees.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is to many miles to buy new??
Old 08-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You may find a good deal on Ebay like CHenry said. You might even try some public auction like Ritchie Bros. They handle mostly construction equip auctions but I've seen some fine looking PSD's on the block.
You'll love the diesel! Let's see... How can I type this?

How bout... "once you go CLACK, you never go back"
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't be afraid to look at Ford Dealers as well. In 2002, I bought my 1996 F250 from a Ford Dealer for $13,950. It had 74k miles on it at the time. Be patient and wait for what you want.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm Drowner
Don't be afraid to look at Ford Dealers as well. In 2002, I bought my 1996 F250 from a Ford Dealer for $13,950. It had 74k miles on it at the time. Be patient and wait for what you want.
You can buy 99-2000 models all day long on ebay for that money.
But hey, your a longhorn so you have an excuse J/K
Seriously, the dealers are going to want a couple grand extra for what they have....thats how they stay in business. Stay away from anything older than 99 IMO the 96 don't have turbos if i'm remembering right and it would be a hugely underpowered truck compared to the newer 7.3s Get into a 6.0 PSD and feel some real power! :burnout

Here is the first one that came up when i searched for 2000 F-250...it's high milage but maybe a good once over by the mechanic would let you know if it's worn out or not.

Heres a sweet 2000 model 4x4 - 110,000 miles and priced at $13,500
I wouldn't be afraid of a PSD with 110k miles if it was serviced right.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Oh great! An Okie talking trash!!! j/k

If they'd have taught you to read at OU, you would have seen that I said in 2002 I bought my 1996. That means that it was a 6 year old truck when I bought it. A 6 year old truck now would be a.......2000 model! Whaddya know?!!?!

Actually the 1996 had turbos, just not aftercoolers.

FWIW- Many (not all) of the early 6.0 trucks had serious issues. The later models seem to be pretty good though.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
If they'd have taught you to read at OU
I didn't attend OU...I personally went to OSU but I couldnt' talk football trash over that cause we all know OSU has no team...or coach.
Quote:
you would have seen that I said in 2002 I bought my 1996. That means that it was a 6 year old truck when I bought it.
Oh, i skimmed over that pretty fast so must have missed that part... "I aint a real smart man" (Slingblade - i love that movie)
Quote:
Actually the 1996 had turbos, just not aftercoolers.
Really? I could have sworn my dad put on an aftermarket turbo on his 96 F-250 cause it lacked one.

Quote:
FWIW- Many (not all) of the early 6.0 trucks had serious issues. The later models seem to be pretty good though.
This is a fact, no doubt. I am one of the lucky 03 6.0 who has not had any issues but of course as my luck would have it, I just jinxed myself there.
But if he buys a 6.0 surely any problems with it would have been addressed by now under warranty and a guick check on a computer to pull the shop records will tell him that.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM

OSU has nothing to be ashamed of. You guys put the fear of God in the Horns last year!

I went to high school with the fellow who was Barry Sanders blocking back at OSU, Garrick Mitchell. Most bowlegged fellow I ever saw, but one heck of an athlete.

OK, enough hijacking this thread.

Whatever you buy, figure on replacing glow plugs & the CPS in short order. Not too expensive but necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.