6.0 Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 6.0 Help

hey everyone, got rid of my 6.4.. just too expensive for me.. I'm looking into a 6.0 right now, 2006 badlander edition 120k miles on her, EGR replacement 5 inch lift.. my questions are 1) what do I need to know about the Egr replacement (is it any good? I'm planning on a delete anyway) and 2) I hear conflicting things about 6.0's. one is to "drive it like I stole it" and another is "it's people with heavy feet that cause failures in this engine".. so do I just need to find a medium between those two? Also, are 6.0's honestly THAT bad? or is the case just that you never read about the 99% of people that love theirs.. my 6.4 never had an issue besides the recall on the radiator..any help will do.. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the 6.0 does tend to have a few things go bad over time. FICM, oil cooler, head bolts, EGR system. those seem to be the main things. normally after you fix any of these issues the problems never reoccur just make sure you do ARP studs when you fix that one. and run cat coolant after the oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet08 View Post
I hear conflicting things about 6.0's. one is to "drive it like I stole it" and another is "it's people with heavy feet that cause failures in this engine"..
as for how it should be driven... dont drive it like a grandpa and yet dont romp on it all day everyday constantly taking egts over 1500 and what not but yet at the same time make sure you jump on the pedal atleast weekly to get the engine hot and clean out soot and bs that starts to build up like it blows oil from the CCV out of the turbo area and cleans turbo vanes it cleans valves in heads it cleans exhaust manifolds and what not its just good for the 6.0 to romp on it from time to time. and yes the 6.0 can take a very good beating if you wish it to.

im not sure if your gonna do any performance stuff but many people do seem to have good luck on stock headbolts especially in 05-07 models.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks that helps a lot...I assume you're one of the guys that agrees that the 6.0 isn't as bad as people think and all we see are the horror stories... on that note, have you heard the badlander edition?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0L engines get a bad rep, however that is because there are not many people out there who buy a vehicle to put money into as soon as they buy it.
Check out some of the 6.0 bulletproofing threads. A lot of them explain what needs to be done in order to make the 6.0 as reliable as the 7.3 but with tons of power.

The person who posted before me covered pretty much all of it. Only weak part after putting in an extreme tune after the mods suggested above would be the transmission (which really isnt weak at all) however if you are pushing over 500hp you will want to consider a shift kit and aftermarket torque converter.

I would get rid of the EGR, put some head studs on it, rebuild the FICM, and do the oil cooler and you should be good for a lot of power and reliability for awhile
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

again, a helpful reply. you guys make me feel a little bit better about a 6.0!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad to help, hope you enjoy your 6.0! Although the 6.4L is a hard engine to let go of, I have wanted that engine since it came out
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea, loved mine.. it was just a little too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, advice 6.0, how to drive, what to look for 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.