Is it worth it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it worth it

Alright guys,

Firstly i hope I'm posting in the right area, If not I"m sorry.

Anyhow I'm looking for a diesel farm truck and ran by this one. The thing that gets me is he say's you have to use starter fluid when first starting it. I read some where using starter fluid or something was bad for diesels?

Anyhow here is a video of the truck, let me know what you think and if its worth the asking price:

Asking 2500 for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one at all?..
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
dude.. thats not even a powerstroke! its an IDI diesel from international! its old and not a turbo-diesel.. if your just running eggs from farm side one to the other thats one story.. but don't expect it to haul alot of hay bales or anything.. for 2500.. no way... i'd give the guy 1K for it.. its looks like its in decent shape.. but its an old truck man.. and its gonna have old truck problems.. you're better off with a 94.5+ powerstroke.. this is a great truck but not for towing or anything.. previous owner even ripped the electrical out of the bed

info on your engine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._Harvester_IDI

made 330lbs-ft (not that much IMO and only 180HP)

and you atleast need to get new glow plugs or a glow plug relay

Last edited by kendallcschm; 02-02-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know is not a powerstroke. The people here know diesels so that's why i asked here. Its hard to find a farm truck that's diesel around here because every one thinks there worth 9k plus no matter the age.

The one thing i noticed that you may have missed is that orange card running from batter into the truck, no clue what that is for. It probably is a can of worm's. however that's why i am, asking people who know fords better then me.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne220 View Post
I know is not a powerstroke. The people here know diesels so that's why i asked here. Its hard to find a farm truck that's diesel around here because every one thinks there worth 9k plus no matter the age.

The one thing i noticed that you may have missed is that orange card running from batter into the truck, no clue what that is for. It probably is a can of worm's. however that's why i am, asking people who know fords better then me.
We do accept IDIs here but in the end of your video you go "7.3L powerstroke" so i was making sure the dude selling it wasn't lieing to you.. what do you intend on using this thing for though? if your not gonna be towing much its fine.. but like i said.. its a weak engine.. reliable as all hell but weak.. and this might be a can of worms.. idk about the card on the batter but there seems to be rust on or near the radiator.. and i think you meant cord.. and yea i noticed.. looks jerry rigged.. i wouldn't touch this thing for a lick over 1K but idk.. looks ok other than the rust spots and the mysterious wiring
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM

actually.. whats the ratio of the gears in the rear end.. that makes a difference too in towing
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah cord. That is the seller in the video talking not me. I was mainly going to use it on the farm and would be hauling every now an then (cattle trailer etc). I just ran across this on craigs (video was with listing). I never noticed the rust, thanks for pointing that out.

I searched around for powerstroke's, but nothing under 7k. Heck a guy wanted 7500 for a 443k miles 95 powerstroke. That's more then I'm welling to pay for a truck that will stay on the farm unless its hauling to the market ever once in a blue moon.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne220 View Post
Yeah cord. That is the seller in the video talking not me. I was mainly going to use it on the farm and would be hauling every now an then (cattle trailer etc). I just ran across this on craigs (video was with listing). I never noticed the rust, thanks for pointing that out.

I searched around for powerstroke's, but nothing under 7k. Heck a guy wanted 7500 for a 443k miles 95 powerstroke. That's more then I'm welling to pay for a truck that will stay on the farm unless its hauling to the market ever once in a blue moon.
7500 for 440K+ wtf is the thing made of gold bricks? a guy up in CT was selling his spotless 7.3L with 146K on it for 5K.. if there are enough Ks in that sentence anywho.. keep looking around.. there has to be one.. and pickup something with 200L for 5K.. its worth it in the end if its got the balls you need.. i just think this thing looks death-trappy
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
7500 for 440K+ wtf is the thing made of gold bricks? a guy up in CT was selling his spotless 7.3L with 146K on it for 5K.. if there are enough Ks in that sentence anywho.. keep looking around.. there has to be one.. and pickup something with 200L for 5K.. its worth it in the end if its got the balls you need.. i just think this thing looks death-trappy
Yeah, the more time's i watch the video the more i notice things. I think I'll wait until every one get's off the tax time high and common sense sets back in that there trucks or not worth that kind of money. I at least hope that's whats with the crazy price's. Just got done looking at a 94 crew cab turbo powerstroke dually with 369k miles with rust on body, busted dually fender and wont start unless plugged up(bad glow plugs i guess).. He wanted 5500 cash and "not a penny less" the listing said I guess i don't see the gold on them like they do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.