J & K J&K Reman Engines Buyer Beware - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
J & K J&K Reman Engines Buyer Beware

I purchased an 03 f250 fx4 with 140K miles in Sept 2011. Had a no start condition Oct. 2011 was towed to Coys Diesel. They replaced the low pressure oil pump.(around 2000.00) Around December the truck ended up at TnT Diesel in Baton Rouge Louisiana for a bad miss. It was diagnosed as having a broken lifter or pushrod forget which but whatever it was sent metal Throughout the engine. (guess this is what destroyed my low pressure pump) They told me i needed a new engine. Well after looking around for a bit i settled on a J&K Reman long block with Arp Headstuds for around 4500.00 shipped to Tnt performance Diesel. I read good things on here about TNT but for varying reasons from staff being on vacation to them being back logged they never got the Reman long block in until around August 2012. When the truck was started for the first time they noticed a severe coolant leak.

Well one of the reasons i chose to purchase the Reman longblock from J&K was due to the fact they had a year unlimited mileage warranty. I call them up spoke with Jack (the J in j&k) explained the shop just installed the engine and it has a coolant leak and they suspect it has a bad drivers side head gasket. Jack told me they do not cover over heating. I explained the shop just installed the engine and upon start up the engine leaked coolant he proceeds to tell me how do you know they didn't run the engine hot. He then sugested it was most likely a freeze out plug so I called TnT back and explained to them what i was told. So i gave the shop the go ahead to pull the head to find out what the failure was. Here is the findings from the shop

We pulled cab and found no obvious leaks from freeze plug or cracked head/block. Pulled head and found bent part on gasket. Sent head out to be tested, it tested good. We believe gasket was installed wrong and the head was torqued down; bent part is from when they tried to install pushrods and they wouldn’t go in due to gasket being installed wrong. When they discovered gasket was installed wrong, they untorqued head, fipped gasket, and reinstalled. You CANNOT do this. We installed new gaskets, etc and torqued head. No leaks now, which tells us there were no defective parts. Defective assembly was the cause of leak.

So i get back in touch with J&K this time i talked to Keith (the K in jnk) He told me i did not send my warranty card in so unfortunately they cannot help me with the repair on the engine. $#@$ no where in the auction nor on their website does it state anything about a warranty card. Since the engine was shipped to the shop i never laid eyes on this paperwork At this point im very angry frustrated i had been without my truck for 7 months. I called back angry they agreed to send me the price for the replacement set of Gaskets. I told TNT to install a oem ford gasket the engine came with Black Onyx the ford oem kit was 250.00 or so. Well they sent a credit card payment to Tnt Diesel for 50.00 for the cost of a replacement set of Black Onyx.

So if anyone is considering buying a reman engine from Jnk or J&K remember his ebay name jnkengines JUNK engines. I could have got a junk yard engine put in arp head studs and have been well below what their "reman" long block ended up costing. Since i purchased the engine off Ebay i could have had some buyer protection but by the time TNT got around to working on my truck i was well past any of that.

Remanufactured Ford Engines | J&K Engines | (615) 758-7749

That is their website they advertise all over craigslist. The crappy thing is i really couldnt find much on them. After i sent the check off i stumbled across a thread made by Steed281 i wish i had listened to his advice of canceling the check.

Last edited by rabid85; 02-01-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cliffs. Do not buy an engine from J&K they do not honor their warranty and do not stand behind their work

Picture the shop sent with bent head gasket
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ntgaskety.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/headoff.jpg/

I find that very cheap and lazy not to replace that gasket once they realized it was bent it scares me to think about what else they skimped on. From the Markings on the bottom of my engine it looks to have been bored over i hate to see how they done that. Probably with a dremel tool
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...inemarked.jpg/

After adding up the purchase price of the truck and the work that went into it im around 22K would have been a nice 6.4 i will never get the money back out of this truck so i will drive it until it dies and considering the workmanship of j&k thats probably another 20K at most

Last edited by rabid85; 02-01-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.