Another 6.0 vs 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another 6.0 vs 7.3

I'm in the market for my first powerstroke after wrecking my last truck. I've done my research and know the pros and cons, but would like your opinions. I'm trying to decide between two trucks. One is a 2005 6.0 with 125,000mi for 16k The other is an '03 7.3 with 235,000mi for 10k. Both are cc lb trucks similar in condition. Have test driven both and the only red/yellow flag is the '03 blew some white smoke after startup which cleared up after a min or two. I know the '03 is up there in miles, but i'm considering it because the price point leaves me some extra cash to possibly lift the truck and/or convert to veg. What'a you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I own 2 7.3's and a 6.0. 2000 7.3 with 278,000 miles 03 7.3 with 154,000 miles all trouble free change the oil and go I had to do a both fuel bowl orings and hpop lines. All in all great trucks. 2004 6.0 Had a failed egr cooler at 46,000 miles so I deleted it and did head gaskets with arps while I was in there. Since then the 6.0 has been perfect and is my favorite of the bunch. 6.0 has quite a bit more power. depends what your going to do with the trucks and if you enjoy working on it or not? Once a 6.0 is bullet proofed its tough to beat. Like I said I prefer the 6.0 either way good luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Personally I would get the 7.3 but that is just me and I am a little biased due to the fact that I own one and I have only ever driven one 6.0 and the egr failed as I was driving it so that gave me a bad vibe haha. The smoke is probably just due to the fact that it needs new glow plugs so I would talk to the PO or dealership or whomever about that to try and clear it up on the cause or when the plugs got replaced last. But the 6.0 is also an awesome engine if you bullet proof it. Also are you using the truck for a bunch of towing? If so I would probably get the 6.0 because it has some more power and will haul your load easier. Really both engines are great, its going to come down to your final decision and how much are you willing to shell out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would only be towing a couple times a month and nothing over 10k. If I did get the 6.0 I wouldn't have any money to "bulletproof" it, which makes me nervous. The only work it has had done are a couple injectors and most miles are highway.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Another 6.0 vs 7.3

If you wouldn't have the money to bulletproof it, you may not have the $$$ to fix it if something went wrong in the infancy of your ownership. Just something to think of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Which is what makes me nervous. 16k is my budget. The miles make me somewhat nervous on the 7.3 but from what I've read here and other forums is that they will last forever (with the right maintenance).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Another 6.0 vs 7.3

I'd buy the 7.3 if it was my money. But that's me.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Another 6.0 vs 7.3

Look into transmission on 7.3. How it was maintained and if ever rebuilt replaced. Those are low motor miles on 7.3.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Buying a 7.3 with 250k miles on it is like buying a gasser with 100k on it. In other words nothing to worry about, just a number.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

On the 6.0 you don't necessarily have to do a full bullet proof to drive the truck.

Do a coolant flush and replace with cat ELC coolant, cheap and easy to get done.
Get a tuner/monitor your going to buy one of these anyways.
Watch your delta actually beyond that check the delta of the truck now before you buy it with a monitor. If the delta is 8* or less in theory you have a while before the cooler is clogged.

I drove my 6.0 for 5 months and put a good 15k miles on it before I did anything at all. The only thing that happened is injector 7 died on me and I atribute that to the fact it had 15w40 wal mart oil in it from the PO so I guess thats what he always ran, thats a big no no on the 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.