99 f250 7.3 L blowing white smoke and loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 99 f250 7.3 L blowing white smoke and loss of power

My f250 started acting up a couple of months ago. First going up hill. The more throttle I gave it the slower it got. Finally got to where it would only do about 20 - 30 mph. Turned it off for a few min then started it back up ( thinking fuel filter ). It ran better. Was able to drive 60 miles back home at 60 mph. If I gave it throttle hard it would bogg down and I would have to do all of this again. I changed fuel filter under the hood. It fixed the problem for a couple of weeks. Started doing it again off and on. Then I noticed that it was only doing it when the fuel got down close to a quarter of a tank. Now I am seeing white smoke when I give it hard throttle and loss of power. It is getting worse every time I run it. I also drained the water separater behind the fuel filter. That did help, but it started back up. i am not seeing any black smoke at all like normal. A little history, I was running used cooking oil and diesel 50 50. Did that about 6 months. The truck ran better than ever. I was unable to get the bio any more so I went back to straight diesel. About 6 months later is when all of this started. I am again back to running 50 50 again. It has just now started getting cold here in Alabama. So I am running 60 diesel and 40 bio. As far as I know, the truck is all stock. have not noticed any drop in coolant. Thinking cracked head or blown head gasket. i was told that it could be the screen in the tank. Also was told that it might be the egr sensor? Any help. I'm running out of ideas. I can do most of the work myself. As long it doesn't get very deep. I'm new to working on diesels. I work on bikes and small engines. I am getting my bio from a licensed waste cooking oil recycler. It is very clean. I know a lot of people running it with no problems. Any ideas? Help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: 99 f250 7.3 L blowing white smoke and loss of power

No egr at all.
I'd pull the tank to make sure it's clean

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Haven't looked into that yet. Is it much trouble to do. Have I got to take off the bed. Or can I drop it from below. Do u think cooking oil has any thing to do with it?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea, possibly. I know that it needs to be filtered a lot and centrifuged. Not just dumped straight in with diesel.
You can either raise the bed or drop the tank.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree. The oil is ran through a centrefuge. It is filtered down to 1 micro ??. The oil is ran through every filter out there and heated and separated. So I can just drop the tank. Wasn't sure if I would be able to do that without pulling the bed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.