Gauges on my 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges on my 7.3

I have owned several diesel tractors and large trucks but i just purchased my first diesel pickup. It's a cherry 1999 F350 super duty 7.3. I will pull a 5th wheel with this truck and the first thing I would like to do is install a complete set of gauges. I understand the need for a transmission temp. gauge an oil pressure gauge. and maybe water temp. Do I need an exhaust temp gauge ? and what about a turbo boost gauge ? ( and what is turbo boost ) this truck is only going to be used for pulling my 5th wheel and and maybe trailers of hay or livestock. I don't intend to install any performance improving products unless it's absolutely necessary. I pulled this trailer all over Ohio last summer with my 1997 F250 Heavy duty with the 460CI Gas. so I don't think i will have any trouble. pulling i'm just not sure about the gauges . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

The most popular is EGT, boost and tranny temp if you go with a 3-gauge pod. Many rely on the water, oil pressure gauge in the dash.

I pull a 5er with my '01 (See sig) and I rely on the three above. Especially EGT when climbing grades. I can keep the temps in check by not pushing it too hard. For an auto tranny, high temps can cut its life short. I installed a 6.0L, 31-row tranny cooler to help keep the temps down.
That's what I've done. I'm sure others will add to this topic.

This is my set up. Bottom to top: EGT, Boost, Trans temp
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/mem...h-w-gauges.jpg
I put the link because it's a big pic

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 01-11-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What was the paint you use for the tan interior.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First,

Next, welcome from another Ohioan or at least it sounds like you might be! Lol

Now with that out of the way, what are details of your truck? I guess first, is it an auto pr manual trans? You would want a trans temp guage if it is auto only. No need if it is a manual.

The other guages should definitely be an EGT guage. Diesels will get hot with a lack of air. This can happen when lugging it and not building boost (more air) or when the air filter becomes clogged and won't flow enough air.

3rd gauge I have is a boost guage. Boost is a name given to the positive air pressure created in the air intake trac by the turbo. The amount of boost is a great indicator of the load on the engine. More boost, more engine load.

Engine coolant temp does not seem to be a big concern in these trucks. They have an enormous cooling system that seems to be very efficient. Actually, alot of guys put a hotter (203) t-stat in their trucks to get them to warm up better.

Other things I would consider would be a diy air filter. Do a search on that and you will find an overwhelming amount of info. Basically, we have come up with a way to use an industrial air filter on our trucks that protect it very well. Also, consider some sort of exhaust modifying. I just cut my muffler out and welded in a straight piece of pipe. It allows the engine to breathe quite a bit better which lowers EGT's. You can also install a bigger (4") exhaust which will do the same. And last, if yours is an auto trans and it sounds like it will be hauling some weight, look into getting a trans cooler from the newer 6.0 trucks. It is much bigger and helps with the leading cause of failer with our auto (4r100) trans.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Dang, guess I should have refreshed my screen before posting! Lol
Oh well, some of my info has already been mentioned.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOWORKF250 View Post
What was the paint you use for the tan interior.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
It was a while ago, but it was VHT paint. But VHT is now a part of Dupli-color I think. Not sure it's the same. There are other paints out there, but I not sure who makes them.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Premium Member

Turbostang 500 ask about the details of my truck. 1999 F350 / 4R100 / Auto Tranny / DRW
crew cab / long bed / 4wd / limited slip / Yes I live in Ohio . I'm the 2nd owner of this truck I have all of the maintenance and repair receipts from the previous owner ( He had deep pockets and had all work done at a Ford garage ) I was shocked at some of the cost of repair at these dealers. Example rotors pads and bearings on the front end over $3000.00 Wow. We do all of our own work here on the farm. This truck spent it's winters in the south and summers north, and it shows. no rust Thanks again for the Info.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Im selling my isspro boost gauge with led lighting. Isspros bout as good as it gets for gauges. $50 shipped
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke powerstroke View Post
Im selling my isspro boost gauge with led lighting. Isspros bout as good as it gets for gauges. $50 shipped
You have any other gauges?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 AM

I do but im not selling lol. Its practically brand new, in my truck now but not hooked up, never pressurized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.