Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 versus 6.4

6K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  6.0f250firstcar 
#1 ·
I drive a 2004 6.0. Today I was riding in a 2008 6.4 as a passenger we took off from a dead stop after the driver stepped on the pedal telling me how much power the 6.4 had. I was thrown back in my seat and still cant believe the power diffrence from the 6.0 to the 6.4.

when I step on my pedal I get a lag then accelerate but not like the 6.4. Is this common with the two diffrent motors? Both trucks are stock. Just curious.

#2 ·
The main difference is the fact that the 6.0 has one large turbo for when the motor get's up to speed whereas the 6.4 has 2 turbos, one to help right off idle and the other for when it gets up to speed.

That alone makes the 6.4 seem so much more powerful compared to the 6.0 even before you start comparing the HP/TQ numbers.

#6 ·
So is that your truck in your avatar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#13 ·
Not to derail, I already started a poll about this but haven't got any responses. So which one is better/ more reliable?

#14 ·
Depends who you talk to. lol

6.0 owners who have bulletproofed will say the 6.0, 6.4 owners who have deleted and tuned will say 6.4, 7.3 owners will say neither and 6.7 owners will say "look shiny"...

In all honesty I think every one of the engines has strengths and weakness. Me, I'm not worried one bit about my 6.4. I love it and wouldn't trade it for any of the other engines.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
Yeah I know that it is a matter of opinion, and i know rhe forums will always be full of the negative. I thought in the beginning of the 6.4 that international had learned their lesson and built another one like the 7.3 but now I'm not so sure. They are having some issues with the 6.4 now too(EPA inflicted) mostly but some other issues also. I'm just having a hard time investing 20-30k in a truck I'm not sure I can trust.

#17 ·
In all honesty (despite naysayers), I think in a handful of years people are going to look back at the deleted and tuned 6.4 (so get rid of the EPA BS) and say they were a new and improved 7.3 and wish that they would have gotten one when they could because all the owners of the deleted and tuned 6.4s are gonna be holding on to them and when they do sell em they will be worth a lot. Especially if they have been deleted, tuned, studded, etc.

And I think a bulletproofed 6.0 will be worth it's weight in gold as well... What with all the EPA BS they will be the only ones without a required DPF!

Eventually people will move on from the 7.3 craze. Don't get me wrong they are great engines, but power per $ they are becoming dinosaurs, AND now the newest 7.3 is a decade old! Eventually other parts of the truck start to wear out around what is a great engine.

And engine without a truck is just a giant paperweight...

#22 ·
The 6.4 is a very powerful engine, however once the 6.7 can be tuned like the two lower generation engines (6.4 and 6.0) it will be more powerful. As we get newer generation engines they will get more powerful and reliable.
As a 7.3 owner, I am not all about the typical attitude of most 7.3 owners (7.3 or nothing), I would love a 6.4. However, in order to make those engines super powerful and reliable, you still have to dump a lot of money into it. Same with the 6.0. The 7.3 has always been get in and go, but lack of power.

Therefore I feel each engine has its weakness and strength. My choice of truck(year not just engine) would be the years of the 6.4 because I like the look, the turbo setup, and the raw power you can get.

#26 ·
the 6.7 will never be as powerful as the 6.4 for the money. the 6.7 are being tuned now and they are no where close to a 6.4.
it cost me 1500 bucks for my tuner exhaust and intake and my trucks makes around 570hp. how is that not super powerful for cheap, and its been perfectly reliable.

#23 ·
I would take a 6.4 over a 6.0 but you can't beat the sound of a straight piped 6.0!

#24 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I have to agree in part with all of you. I would just keep my 7.3 for now because I am happy with it. My problem is I bought a new camper which is heavier than the one I have now and they upped the towing capacity after 2005 so I am looking at buying a 2005+ truck and was just wondering which was the best way to go. I do plan on doing a cross country trip on a yearly basis pulling the 5er so reliability is important to me. The extra power is going to be nice too over the 7.3 :)

#25 ·
The towing capacity is just merely a suggestion I tow 20-25k+ often with no problems at all

#29 ·
I know I can tow more, but with long trips I would rather be legal... If you ever get in an accident and lawyers get involved a person would be in a world of hurt being over the mfg. rating of the truck. Obviously the odds of this are pretty low, I would just rather be safe than sorry.

#35 ·
The 6.4 tranny was different/heavier than the 6.0 right?

#41 ·
I'm an engineer as well Stig. I think we are on the downside of the bashing, so I'm not gonna contribute. But I think there are lots in these engines and transmissions that you aren't familiar with (and if you are I'm sorry for assuming). There have been many many 6.4s that are 550-590HP that are holding up tremendously. I don't know if you read 'Diesel Power' magazine, but even in one writeup they have "it's hard to hurt these engines' factory bottom ends [talking about all modern diesels], especially at 500 HP. The fact that every modern diesel pickup requires a built transmission at this point (the one exception being Ford's 5R110 Torq-Shift) means you're not rebuilding (or upgrading) your bulletproofed transmission all the time" (Jan issue, page 44, "The Perfect Daily Driver"). The fact that it had a shout out about strength says something.

#42 · (Edited)
Btw running high tunes isn't going to lead to heat deterioration. Tuned I introduce MUCH less heat to my entire system than any regen does. It's not the heat that is going to kill my engine.

The fact that the 6.4 is the only diesel to have a pre turbo EGT sensor? I'm just gonna use that as an excuse that this truck was destined to be a race truck :)

Favorite excuse on my side for modifying? "Because RACETRUCK!"

PS I don't tow crap. Most my truck has ever seen is a pop up camper...

#43 ·
Btw running high tunes isn't going to lead to hear deterioration. Tuned I introduce MUCH less heat to my entire system than any regen does. It's not the heat that is going to kill my engine.

The fact that the 6.4 is the only diesel to have a pre turbo EGT sensor? I'm just gonna use that as an excuse that this truck was destined to be a race truck :)

Favorite excuse on my side for modifying? "Because RACETRUCK!"

PS I don't tow crap. Most my truck has ever seen is a pop up camper...

Tyler knows his crap man.. I've witnessed many threads this guy has been in and his knowledge isn't mediocre... Lol every thread I'm in with you or watching, as I read I'm always nodding my head in agree-ance with what your saying. These trucks are race trucks, 580hp & 1200 ft:lbs torque for a light duty truck... That's some serious numbers especially for a slighty modified vehicle!

I love my race truck :nod:

#44 ·
Thx Marshall. I try my best to not BS anyone. The auto world has always been my passion, but diesels are so much more interesting and I have dove in deep to be a diesel enthusiast. I really don't like to call people out and I really do try to just post what I know. Forums are for learning (for everyone). And to be honest I really think I love helping people more than I love working on my truck or my Camaro (and that's saying a lot!)

I should probably learn to spell check as well tho lol.

#47 ·
Don't worry about it. We all know you are here to learn so when you get your first Powerstroke you are educated. Just be forewarned you will probably catch a little flack from people for having someone else's truck as your avatar. But it's all on fun and games as long as you don't claim it as your own when called out on it. I've seen a few guys do it and then they get called out by the actual owner or the actual owners friends... And they lose standing and usually leave the forums pretty soon after that (and if they don't people just rag on them constantly for being an idiot).

#52 ·
ok so im new to the forum and have been outta the diesel market for the most part since i had my 2000 7.3 4x4 xtra cab. im now back n looking between 2002-03 7.3's, 05-07 6.0's, and even squeaked a peek at a couple 08's (altho didnt really want to spend 08 money. Im ok w mileage in the 150k area, do want all the bells n whistles, will be a daily driver and occasionally pull a small 5000 lb race boat. mainly looking for comfort and perf. What are the diff mpg's between these. I know my 7.3 would get high teens on highway (intake, tuner n exhaust) if i kept my foot out of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.