Transit van to get a 5cycl, 3.2 "Powerstroke" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transit van to get a 5cycl, 3.2 "Powerstroke"

December 09, 2012 / By Edward A. Sanchez

As soon as Ford announced its 2014 Transit would be offered with a diesel option, speculation ran rampant as to which diesel engine in its global portfolio would find its way under the hood. But consensus quickly settled on the 3.2-liter Duratorq five-cylinder diesel used in the European-spec Transit, as well as in the top-level T6 Ranger.

Today, we have official confirmation that a version of that engine will be under the hoods of 2014 Transit models equipped with the diesel engine. The relatively unknown Duratorq brand in the U.S., which coincidentally sounds suspiciously close to a domestic rival's diesel brand name, has been dropped in favor of the more widely-recognized Power Stroke brand, although the twin-cam, DOHC engine shares no parts in common with the similarly-named 6.7-liter V-8 diesel found in Super Duty models.

The engine has an iron block and aluminum head, and features piezoelectric injectors with a maximum fuel pressure of 26,100 psi, a variable-nozzle turbocharger with a maximum impeller speed of 197,800 rpm, piston underside oil jets, and a water-cooled exhaust gas recirculation system. The engine is assembled in Ford's Struandale Engine Plant in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, and will be shipped to Ford's Kansas City Assembly plant, where the North American-spec Transit will be manufactured.

To help meet strict EPA emissions standards for diesels, the 3.2-liter Power Stroke will have a fluid-based selective catalyst reduction system when it comes stateside. Official output for the engine in North American trim has not yet been released, but power output for the European version of the engine is 197 hp and 347 lb-ft of torque. For comparison, the 3.0-liter Bluetec V-6 diesel in the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter currently produces 188 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque, the Transit's closest marketplace rival.

The engine will be mated exclusively to Ford's 6R80 six-speed automatic transmission, which will also be behind the available 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6. The EcoBoost and Power Stroke are the only two officially-announced engines for the Transit, but most believe the base engine will be Ford's 3.7-liter V-6 that serves as the base engine in the F-150 pickup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i think this is great.. i love ford and i love diesels.. this is great.. i can't wait till they start putting diesel in the expedition and the other SUVs
Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM

I really wish they would revive the excursion so badly

If they did and put a 6.7 in it I know what my wife would be driving!!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
I really wish they would revive the excursion so badly

If they did and put a 6.7 in it I know what my wife would be driving!!

Aren't you too young to be married? LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Megan Stammers: 15-year-old schoolgirl on the run with married teacher, 30 - Mirror Online

Cough cough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.