Trying to decide if diesel is for me..?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to decide if diesel is for me..??

Hello everyone! New to the forum and looking for advice from those with much more knowledge and experience with diesel than I have. I'm considering a new, bigger truck, and want some feedback as to if I should/need to go diesel or should consider 3/4 ton gasser.

My current truck is '05 RAM 1500 Hemi. I used to only use it to tow my 22' Glastron ski boat, but bought a 27' fiver last winter. The 5th wheel is a Keystone Sprindale 249FWBHSSR. Dry weight 6301lbs, and carrying capacity 1804lbs, with a pin weight of about 1150lbs. I've had the truck and 5th wheel fully loaded and weighed at a truck scale. I was just barely within my GAWR, which is generally my biggest concern. I have the weight slips in my truck, but can't recall off hand how heavy the whole load was.

I live in Kansas, so it's mostly flat, but I towed to Arkansas and Oklahoma and Missouri last year. Any slight hills and I'm working that 1500! The Hemi has power, but I'm sure I'll burn through a transmission this year if I keep towing the 5er, not to mention brakes, etc. I have a tranny and oil cooler and LOVE my Ram! But don't want to tear it up and have lots of $$ in repairs. It's pushing 80k miles now.

I'd also like to be able to take the family camping in Colorado, Georgia, etc, but am not sure I want to tow more than 400 miles or so with the 1500. So I've decided to look at 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Initially only 3/4, but keep finding killer deals on 3500/350s. The thing is that I do drive this thing around town also. I have a motorcycle that is my primary transportation 4 months of the year, but have to drop off/pick up kids and stuff and would have to do that in the truck unless I bought a $1k cheapo car for around town, which is an option.

If I mostly tow only in spring/summerand and tow a ~8200lb 5er, and want to be able to tow long distance, but still need to be able to drive around town, should I be considering a diesel or stay with gas? It's legal to tandem tow (boat behind 5er) in Ks also, so I could do that with a bigger truck, but my wife thinks that is crazy!

Lastly, are there any major issue that I could be overlooking? I will do my own upkeep unless needs very specialized tools or something.

I found some great deals on a couple different 06 F350s at a big local dealer. Sounds like the 6.0 from 06 can be good or bad..?? And maybe not best to be drive around town lots? I do get up on the highway regularly but not for upwards of 1/2 hour expect during camping season..

All advice and personal experience is appreciated!

- nibs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, from what you want to tow, I'd suggest a 350 6.0. If you tandem tow the 5th and the boat you'll probably be pushing 15k or so, which I'd want to be in a 350 for towing. Are you mechanically inclined?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I am. I work on my boat, motorcycle, wifes 4runner and my Ram. I don't take stuff in for service unless its a major thing that I don't have the tools for, or if it's an emergency and I don't have the time. I trust my own work better than anyone elses!

If I'm considering 06 with the 6.0L with around 100k miles, are there any maintenance things I want to find out about on the truck? For instance if EGR or some filter somewhere has been replaced yet? Any major work needed in the 100-150k mile range?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have read that I should ask for an OASIS report on anything from 06 or 07. Probably anything for that matter, but sounds like there are some bad power trains out there in those years. I'm not really looking older than 06. Wanted to stay 08 or newer, but read lots of issues with the emissions crap started in 08..? Found a 2010 250 with 6.4L for a solid price, but not sure..?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One BIG question, is if I should even consider the 6.0 Liter ford... Sounds like lots of headaches for folks!! A good friends dad has one, he's never had an issue. But man, look on the net, and you will find TONS of horror stories.. But the same can be said for the 6.7l CTD.. lots of complaints. I'm at a loss as if I want to get into a mess. My hemi gives me NO problems.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Don't be scared by all those problems you hear about on the Internet. The 6.0 is probably the most misunderstood ford diesel by the general public. Look in the stickies in the 6.0 section. They are a wealth of info.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been. I guess my thing is that if I were already in a 6.0l then that is one thing. But since I'm truck shopping, I don't have to go down this road if there is a better alternative out there. Any make. I'm not big on any of the big 3, so whatever the most reliable, best deal is, is what I will buy.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Well of course I want you to go Ford, but have you considered a 350 V10?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm guessing GAS would kill me in that. I only get about 7 or 8 mpg towing the 7800-800lb 5er now with my Hemi. Much worse than that, and I won't be able to afford to take it anywhere. The increased mileage under tow load is what makes me want a diesel. Damned emissions and govt.. lol
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Haha yeah. So if you want newer, like you stated earlier, why not go 6.7? They are offering deep discounts on the 6.7s. Around 10k off sticker, some guys have even gotten closer to 15k off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.