Help with purchase 6.0 or 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with purchase 6.0 or 6.4

Help!!! I'm new to powerstokes and diesel's in general. I don't know anyone that has had a diesel before. I don't even know what to look for or listen for when test driving. Here are a couple questions I have:

I was looking at 06 f250 with 6.0. It had aftermarket exhaust and air intake. I started it up and a little smoke came out exhaust. Is this normal?

There was a whistling noise coming from the exhaust. It would go away for a few seconds and then come back. What exactly is that noise and is it suppose to be constant?

My budget is 26k. Should I be looking at 6.0 with decent mileage or 6.4 with higher mileage?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooks1983 View Post
Help!!! I'm new to powerstokes and diesel's in general. I don't know anyone that has had a diesel before. I don't even know what to look for or listen for when test driving. Here are a couple questions I have:

I was looking at 06 f250 with 6.0. It had aftermarket exhaust and air intake. I started it up and a little smoke came out exhaust. Is this normal?

There was a whistling noise coming from the exhaust. It would go away for a few seconds and then come back. What exactly is that noise and is it suppose to be constant?

My budget is 26k. Should I be looking at 6.0 with decent mileage or 6.4 with higher mileage?

Thank you.
That whistling noise is the turbo veins opening and closing. This is written into the program of the truck to keep the turbo veins from sticking on trucks that idle a lot. Not supposed to be constant! Normal.

I would stick with a good clean 6.0 personally, but do have a slight bias

As far as other things are concerned you will need some sort of monitor. As GAUGES ARE A MUST ON ALL 6.0s you are going to need one anyway so go ahead and get one and hook it up to the truck on the test drive. You will want to get the truck up to operating temp and then cruise on the highway at 65. The delta (difference) between the ECT (engine coolant temp) and EOT (engine oil temp) should be 5-10 degrees. If it is higher than 15 you are going to need a new oil cooler and EGR cooler/delete. If the truck proves to be good take car of it and it will take care of you.

Remember MAINTENANCE IS CRUCIAL!!!! Synthetic oil and regular fuel filter changes are a must! And I would go ahead and flush out whatever coolant is in there with a CAT EC-1 Rated ELC.

As you are new to all of this you have A LOT to learn. Just focus on getting a good solid platform to work with first and then we can talk all the details. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!

-Mike
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM

What's your purpose for getting this truck? ANything in particular you're looking for it to have? Location?
If I were you I would find a solid 6.0 for $15-17K. Do the initial maintenance stuff. Monitor, coolant filter, EGR delete. Then save the rest for if/when your oil cooler clogs and be ready for headgaskets, studs, oil cooler, and fresh coolant.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM

I think both are good trucks

I avoided the 6.4 when I was shopping because they were to new to be proven reliable

but they have since accomplished that milestone in my book

I love My 6.0 but if something happened to it I would likely get a newer 6.4
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM

If it were me, I'd get a really clean 6.0 for 26k. Do like Mike said and get those gauges and a monitor and have the monitor with you on the test drive. What will your use for the truck be? Do you plan on bulletproofing and deleting?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Just to make that clear, don't spend anywhere near the whole $26,000 on the truck. You can get a real clean one for around $17k
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM

My suggestion is to spend a week right here at this site and do some hard reading. Then you will know what your getting into and it could save you a boat load of $
Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I wouldn't touch a 6.0 with a 10' stick if it wasn't bullet proofed! 6.4 has more power and updated interior. I had a 6.0 and went to a 6.4- wouldn't look back!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For 26 I got a clean 6.4 with 110k miles which ain't nothin on these trucks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Emergency Services

i got mine for 19k it had low miles and when i check the oasis report...no warranty work was done to it..it seems to be well taken care of..its true the 6.4 does have more power.. but i would personally get a 6.0 for around 15k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.