Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie?

I think I learned more about trucks on this thread than anywhere else!

6.0 f250 first car

Okay so heres my situation! I just turned 18 years old in July. Currently I'm not working anymore. (Looking for another job soon) I own a 2004 40th anniversary Mustang GT. Love this car to death.. got it when I turned 15! I've put about 3k in mods into it. Mustangs will always be my favorite car (Especially an SVT Cobra). I'm just ready to try out something new! I came to the conclusion I want a lifted truck. I would trade my car in. My budget is around $15k. I had no clue about diesels till I read that forum post up there. From what I got 6.0s are basically a money machine. I would have the money to fix all the problems that arise with these trucks.. except I don't want to throw my money away fixing something every time in the future. To me its not worth it at all. I want something thats going to be reliable and not cause me problems that are going to cost me hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Now I know every car/truck is going to have its downs but what I've read about 6.0s and the money it takes.. like I said to me its just not worth it at all. I absolutely love these trucks and would kill to have one though. I want something! I want a lifted truck! I just don't even know where to begin now knowing everything I learned off that one forum post. Do I go with a 7.3 and put a 05 conversion kit? Do I go with a dodge or even a chevy? I have no clue I'm lost. I want something thats going to catch someones attention when I drive buy. I know you can make a truck look awesome! I'm not crazy about the F150s at all. I can tell you the ends and out on a mustang but when it comes to trucks I'm still helpless. Like I said I want something thats not going to cause me problems and suck my money away. I want a 4x4 truck that I can make look like a 6.0. I need all the help possible here. (It would be much appreciated if someone could post some pictures of a truck with a 05 conversion) Any help, tips, advice is seriously much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Either keep the Mustang or get a gasser 4x4. These are great trucks, but they aren't cheap to drive, maintain, or fix. For example, go price 4 GALLONS of Rotella and a filter. Then add in a fuel filter cuz those get done every other oil change. How does a $100 fill up at 13.5 mpg in town sound?

Keep the pony until you have a steady job is my advice.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Either keep the Mustang or get a gasser 4x4. These are great trucks, but they aren't cheap to drive, maintain, or fix. For example, go price 4 GALLONS of Rotella and a filter. Then add in a fuel filter cuz those get done every other oil change. How does a $100 fill up at 13.5 mpg in town sound?

Keep the pony until you have a steady job is my advice.

What 4x4 gas truck would you recommend?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

If you're buying one lifted, any one of the big 3 from the mid/late 90s on up would all be about the same. Comes down to looks and brand loyalty at that point. But I'd do a 5.4 over a 4.6, an LS over a traditional SBC, and a HEMI over a 318/360. If you're going to be desert beating it, the live axle under a Dodge will take more abuse (cheaper to fix) than an IFS.

Gotta be realistic with what you want, then shop from there.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
If you're buying one lifted, any one of the big 3 from the mid/late 90s on up would all be about the same. Comes down to looks and brand loyalty at that point. But I'd do a 5.4 over a 4.6, an LS over a traditional SBC, and a HEMI over a 318/360. If you're going to be desert beating it, the live axle under a Dodge will take more abuse (cheaper to fix) than an IFS.

Would you recommend a Ford F150 4X4? I've been searching them and if you make them look right they look great lifted up!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

Can you tell me if this is a good truck? ford f250 monster truck
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The V10 is a great motor, but that thing would be a gas hog. I don't think you'd see better than 7 mpg driving that truck
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Tell you what, find a truck you like, then price a lift tires and wheels for it. Like I said, I'd look for one that's already lifted. An IFS lift, tires, and wheels would be right at $3k or more depending on options.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftKit View Post
I think I learned more about trucks on this thread than anywhere else!

6.0 f250 first car

Okay so heres my situation! I just turned 18 years old in July. Currently I'm not working anymore. (Looking for another job soon) I own a 2004 40th anniversary Mustang GT. Love this car to death.. got it when I turned 15! I've put about 3k in mods into it. Mustangs will always be my favorite car (Especially an SVT Cobra). I'm just ready to try out something new! I came to the conclusion I want a lifted truck. I would trade my car in. My budget is around $15k. I had no clue about diesels till I read that forum post up there. From what I got 6.0s are basically a money machine. I would have the money to fix all the problems that arise with these trucks.. except I don't want to throw my money away fixing something every time in the future. To me its not worth it at all. I want something thats going to be reliable and not cause me problems that are going to cost me hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Now I know every car/truck is going to have its downs but what I've read about 6.0s and the money it takes.. like I said to me its just not worth it at all. I absolutely love these trucks and would kill to have one though. I want something! I want a lifted truck! I just don't even know where to begin now knowing everything I learned off that one forum post. Do I go with a 7.3 and put a 05 conversion kit? Do I go with a dodge or even a chevy? I have no clue I'm lost. I want something thats going to catch someones attention when I drive buy. I know you can make a truck look awesome! I'm not crazy about the F150s at all. I can tell you the ends and out on a mustang but when it comes to trucks I'm still helpless. Like I said I want something thats not going to cause me problems and suck my money away. I want a 4x4 truck that I can make look like a 6.0. I need all the help possible here. (It would be much appreciated if someone could post some pictures of a truck with a 05 conversion) Any help, tips, advice is seriously much appreciated!
I see you were admiring my thread. And after reading yours we sound very alike. I love mustangs too and my dream car would be an 03 SVT "terminator" cobra and my dad has an 06 mustang gt. So everyone else told me to go gasser but I became addicted and as soon as I have the money, a 6.0 will be in my driveway. So it sounds like you want a 7.3 but with a 05-07 front end?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
I see you were admiring my thread. And after reading yours we sound very alike. I love mustangs too and my dream car would be an 03 SVT "terminator" cobra and my dad has an 06 mustang gt. So everyone else told me to go gasser but I became addicted and as soon as I have the money, a 6.0 will be in my driveway. So it sounds like you want a 7.3 but with a 05-07 front end?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, I read through every 23 pages of it! Very useful information by these guys on these forums I learned a lot from it. I've always been into lifted diesel truck especially the F250s I just never got into it that I wanted one. Recently I just started wanting a truck! I'm brand new to trucks! After reading your forum post and hearing about all the problems the 6.0 causes to me its not worth it. Its not that I don't have the time or money to fix the problems that arise.. its that I don't want to and I want to spend my money for something thats not going to stress me out. Sure every truck is going to have its problems. I never really liked the F150s at all but when I read your post I was sorta bummed out on all the problems people said. I was like great I'll never have a truck now! But I didn't stop there I was like you know I'll just look around at the F150s 4x4. Dude I fell in love! They might not be diesel but damn you can sure make them look good! This is what I'm set in place on. Gonna start looking for a 05 F150 4x4 either black or gray! Then I'm going to lift it, new tires, rims, exhaust, all that good stuff! Look at these pictures of some F150s I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie?-screen-shot-2012-11-29-12.32.39-am.jpg   Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie?-screen-shot-2012-11-29-8.53.11-pm.jpg   Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie?-screen-shot-2012-11-29-8.35.10-pm.jpg   Will you please take the time and help a fellow newbie?-screen-shot-2012-11-28-10.40.32-pm.jpg  

Last edited by LiftKit; 11-29-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.