02 F250 Noise from exhaust? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 F250 Noise from exhaust?

Well first off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Eric and live in NY. I just recently bought a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 turbo engine in it. It has about 195,000 miles on it, but looks, runs, and drives like brand new. I have heard lots of stories on these just keep going and going and going, so mileage didn't scare me away from this one. One quick question though, if i start it and its been sitting for some time, from the exhaust it sounds like something is trying to "engage" but isn't. It sounds like air, then a ping, then in a few seconds it does it again, so on and so forth. It only does it for a minute or two then goes away, foot on brake, goes away, start driving, goes away. Any ideas? Hard to describe the noise, but i figured id give it a shot. I've always been a Chevy guy, until this truck. Its my new love! Let me know your thoughts, i really appreciate it in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like it could be the EBPV. (Exhaust back pressure valve) There is a thread about it in the 7.3 section. Sometimes they close and open right away. Does temperature affect it? (say, under 45*)

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...

Video of EBPV closing. (NOT mine)

We have a NY chapter if you're interested. We will be having a GTG soon.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/empire-state-strokers/

Sent from my C771

EDIT: Added links.

Last edited by Tj Krawler; 11-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So your saying it could not be working right? It doesn't sound like that video, more like its trying to engage but won't. And I would be very interested in the GTG, where about are they? I'm in Ontario ny, about 20 miles east of Rochester.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM

If its the EBPV try to unplug it. Not sure on yours but my 96 has a plug drivers side under the Turbo. Mine is a loud hiss when its closed. As it warms it opens and closes quite a bit. Then will stay off. Best bet would be to unplug it when its open (warm) then try it in the morning or cold. A lot of guys disconnect it anyway.

Keep us updated

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02dieself250 View Post
So your saying it could not be working right? It doesn't sound like that video, more like its trying to engage but won't. And I would be very interested in the GTG, where about are they? I'm in Ontario ny, about 20 miles east of Rochester.
Yes. Last year mine would close and open whenever it wanted it. Sometimes it was only on a second or two. Real annoying when driving. You can clean the EBP tube and sensor. It may help this and people claim it will give better mileage.

For the GTG, we haven't decided on a location yet. We're probably going to have two, one for each side of the state because we're so spread out. One will be in the Buffalo area (about an hour west of Rochester) Other will be towards the middle of the state. It will be posted in our ESS chapter section. If you want I can always PM you as well. There is a map in the section too so you can see who's around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
If its the EBPV try to unplug it. Not sure on yours but my 96 has a plug drivers side under the Turbo. Mine is a loud hiss when its closed. As it warms it opens and closes quite a bit. Then will stay off. Best bet would be to unplug it when its open (warm) then try it in the morning or cold. A lot of guys disconnect it anyway.

Keep us updated

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
SD's have this plug too. It's kinda hard to see, but it's there. Mine is more in the center.

OR the easiest way, you can watch the rod for the EBPV to see if it moves as it makes this noise. The rod you watch is on the top side of the turbo, on the passenger side.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot for all the help, I will check it out tomorrow morning when it's cold. It definetly revs up and holds its high idle fine, I will look though. Also, how is 194,000 miles on it? She got a lot of life left you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.