Buying a car in a different state questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a car in a different state questions

This will be the first vehicle purchase i have made out of state. What do i need to drive it home besides bill of sale, title, and contacting my insurance before i drive it home? Also when it comes to paying taxes on the purchase price is it acceptable to put 1500 as the purchase price when i will actually be paying three times that? I don't want to give the state any more of my money. Any input about the whole process would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet4x4 View Post
This will be the first vehicle purchase i have made out of state. What do i need to drive it home besides bill of sale, title, and contacting my insurance before i drive it home? Also when it comes to paying taxes on the purchase price is it acceptable to put 1500 as the purchase price when i will actually be paying three times that? I don't want to give the state any more of my money. Any input about the whole process would be appreciated.
Dealer or private?

It may vary by state, but we have bought two vehicles from out of state. (At least that I remember) Make sure the dealer knows you are planning on driving it home so they can have temporary plates ready. When you call the insurance company, make sure they start the coverage right away. They tried to start mine the next day. They should fax the insurance card to the dealer. Or if you can get email on your phone they can email you a copy.

If it's a private seller. Call your DMV and see if you get temp plates from your state, or the state the vehicle is coming from. I think you get them from the sellers state. Same thing, call insurance. Make sure you write down the policy number.

Writing less than you paid for tax. NO. If it's a dealer, they send all the info to the state. Private seller, I know a lot of people do, but I still wouldn't. I paid 8.75% tax on my truck. Yeah it sucked, but it beats having problems later. At least in New York, they've been checking more and more on this. They know you didn't pay $2k for an almost new truck.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

We sold one and the lady printed a form off the DMV website that allowed her to drive it home. Basically I think it showed she just didn't up and steal it. Check out your states DMV website. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
Dealer or private?

It may vary by state, but we have bought two vehicles from out of state. (At least that I remember) Make sure the dealer knows you are planning on driving it home so they can have temporary plates ready. When you call the insurance company, make sure they start the coverage right away. They tried to start mine the next day. They should fax the insurance card to the dealer. Or if you can get email on your phone they can email you a copy.

If it's a private seller. Call your DMV and see if you get temp plates from your state, or the state the vehicle is coming from. I think you get them from the sellers state. Same thing, call insurance. Make sure you write down the policy number.

Writing less than you paid for tax. NO. If it's a dealer, they send all the info to the state. Private seller, I know a lot of people do, but I still wouldn't. I paid 8.75% tax on my truck. Yeah it sucked, but it beats having problems later. At least in New York, they've been checking more and more on this. They know you didn't pay $2k for an almost new truck.
It's from a private seller. The vehicle I'm looking at picking up is an 03 F350 with 230k on it. My mindset was that since the truck is being purchased for a relatively inexpensive price, i could fudge the numbers a bit to save on taxes. I was more wondering how much the state would look into it being that it is almost a 10 year old vehicle with a lot of miles.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Best to check out your states DMV website like a previous post said. I am in NC and bought my truck in GA. All I needed to drive it home was the bill of sale and the signed over title. I also had a form the NCDMV wanted signed about mileage accuracy and that ihe truck was being sold truthfully. Talk with your insurance to see what you need to do for do there. Taxes suck but fines would be worse. Not worth the chance to fudge the numbers. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet4x4 View Post
It's from a private seller. The vehicle I'm looking at picking up is an 03 F350 with 230k on it. My mindset was that since the truck is being purchased for a relatively inexpensive price, i could fudge the numbers a bit to save on taxes. I was more wondering how much the state would look into it being that it is almost a 10 year old vehicle with a lot of miles.
Changes are they'll never look. But they could. I think it's more obvious when people say they paid $1,000 for something they really paid $20,000 for. But then again, when you insure it, are you telling them it's only worth what you wrote on the form? It's up to you, but IMO, trying to save a few hundred isn't worth the fines/jail that can happen from "fudging" numbers on a government form.

Tax on $1,500 @ 7% = $105
Tax on $5,000 @ 7% = $350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.