Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone Know About Home Security Cameras?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Rodslinger 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about security camera's? Yesterday we had a pretty scary situation at the house. Someone ( whom I personally hope to have a chance to remove from the gene pool with some reloads I'd like to try out ) tried to break into my house at 3:30 in the afternoon, while my oldest daughter was home by herself. My wife and my youngest daughter had gone to the store, my oldest stayed to do homework and I was driving home from work. It appears he picked up a pair of pruning sheers we had on the front porch to use as a weapon. He knocked on the front door - my daughter being upstairs in her room goes to the other side of the house, sees no car and goes back to her room. This guy then goes to the back, knocks on the door.....after no answer (my kids have been taught to never open the door to someone we don't personally know) he proceeds to go over to my shed and start going through it. Lord forbid he steel my damn lawn mower and weed eater and get a damn job......oh no he wouldn't want that, so he proceeds to try to bash down my back door. Anyway a lot went on at this point but long story short, my home phone ringing scared him away, the door is totaled and I've already purchased a new reinforced one.
We religiously use our alarm system but it's just not enough anymore. The police are ABSOLUTELY no help in this city and I told the officer they will not like the way I handle things from this point out. I'll stop my rant and get to the point.
This weekend my house is going through some serious home security changes. I live in a nice neighborhood but heck now days it doesn't seem to matter. That being said I want an outdoor security system. I want basically all the features of this one -

http://www.x10.com/cameras/vt38a_s_3ck_ps122.html

but I'm questioning how well it will work, because it's awfully inexpensive. If anyone has a system or knows anything about them, I'd sure appreciate the help.
Again - sorry for my rant, I'm just a protective father who's in shock at how bad this COULD have gone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Getchya some good ol' fashioned land mines and go to work. That's the only type of security system I know about other than your reloading techinque. I hope you can catch the creep who did it. Hopefully he will be behind those iron bars with 3 hots and a cot.

#3 ·
Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of claymores but I think my housing commission would frown on it. :D

#6 ·
Thanks Scotty - I was thinking the same thing. I'm still shopping around to see what's out there. My father-in-law and I spent nearly all day yesterday replacing the back door and frame. I've also implemented a bunch of other security measures. It just sucks to have to go through this because of some mental midget who needs to be removed from the face of the earth. :mad:

#7 ·
Rodslinger, I am sooooo sorry that you and your family went through something like that!! I am glad that your daughter is safe and sound!! Do you believe in handguns?? If so, does your wife know how to handle a handgun or shotgun??? I hope you find a great security system with cameras. That is awful what you went through. Does your daughter express any interest in learning how to shoot?

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. Actually SPV my whole family is big into guns and shooting sports. My wife and both my daughters are great shots and love to shoot. My wife and I both have our concealed handgun license and carry religiously too.

#12 ·
Well, in Texas I dont think it that hard to get one is it? All I had to do to up here(idaho) was fill out some info at the Sheriffs dept. A few weeks later they gave it to me. I just noticed you live in NY though, its probably hard to get one there, eh?

#13 ·
Here in Texas you have to take a 12 hour class and pass a shooting test........it's so simple it's actually funny.

WELL! Yesterday my next door neighbor came home and someone (I'm sure this same #@#$@$@) broke into their house and ransacked it. This has gotten crazy. I told the cop I though I knew who might be doing the break-ins and he told me to tell the detective once they contact me.....in TWO to THREE WEEKS! I can't even believe this is happening. Sorry I haven't been hanging out on the forum much but between work, repairing my house from what this guy did and implementing more security features, my day is full. Man I want a shot at this guy - LITERALLY! :mad:

#15 ·
I just wish more people would understand that guns aren't bad - people are. I'm the nicest guy on the face of the earth but now I have someone threatening what I hold dearest to my heart - my wife and daughters......not the smartest thing to do to a hardcore hunter who skipped college to earn a combat patch. I'll stop my rant - I guess it's just something that you'd never expect, that hit too close to home. I bought a nice system and am setting it up this weekend.

#16 ·
Crummy that the world is coming to this

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through that CRAP! :mad: Sounds like you need to relocate to Heppner, OR ;) where you can ride 4-wheelers at the OHV park, shoot guns for free and never have to lock a door! We even leave the rigs running while we shop.

OK...back to the serious part here, I am glad to hear that you all know how to use and take advantage of having your guns! It is great to hear that someones else is using this wonderful right. My theory is, if we were all required carry hand guns, then everyone would think twice about the consequences before they did stupid things like that eh?! :D

Good luck to you and bustin the JERK...keep us posted here Rodslinger!

#17 ·
Thanks everyone. :)
I sure wish I could live in a place like that turbo - heck the only reason I don't live on our ranch is my job. Unfortunately there isn't much call for a network engineer in small town Texas. But in a couple more years my daughters will be off to college and my wife and I are already discussing moving out and getting away from the big city. We just don't fit in here. :confused:

#18 ·
I am really very sorry that you and your family went through that!! I too carry a gun. I am with you, people don't get that guns aren't bad, like you said, people are. I am also happy that you were able to get a good system!! I hope you NEVER have to go through that again!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.