Newbie needs advise on 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie needs advise on 6.0

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and fairly new to the diesel world. I'm in a bit of a dilema on buying a new truck. I have the opportunity to buy my Dad's 07 F-350 Larriat ccsb with a 160,000 miles. He bought the truck new in 07 and is very meticulous on the maintenance and up keep of his trucks. The truck has new 35's on it with amp forty-one two chrome wheels, bushwhacker flares, tonnaue cover, bed liner, chrome, tint, vent shades and a bullydog programer. Had a tranny and glow plugs replaced under warranty.

I have done some reading on the issues with the 6.0's some of which have me skeptical but I feel like the consensus is with the right mods the motor can still be pretty descent.

My first question: Do you guys think its worth my time and money to pay $17,500 for the truck and then spend some money on aftermarket goodies...or will I just be throwing my money into a dark hole???

My second question: What mods should I be looking at? How much do they usually run? Where is the best place to get them?

From what I have read it sounds like ARP head studs, EGR delete, exahust from the turbo back are a must. I'm also pretty sure that the high pressure oil pump is going (hard starts after sitting for a while). That is just what I have read though...any other input or mods that will help improve the quality and life of the motor would be much appreciated.

I am very dependent on my truck for work so I need something that will get me to the job site everyday. If need be I do have money saved to buy something newer with less miles or take a loan out on a new rig but would like to avoid if possible. I understand that every truck is different and there is no mod that is going to make the truck bullet proof but it would be nice get some input from some guys who have more experience than I do.

Thanks,

JW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

1. Yes with the right mods to essentially "bulletproof' it, the 6.0 is a great motor.

2. By aftermarket goodies do you mean things to bulletproof the truck or modify it?

3. And yes ARP head studs and EGR delete are good but you will either need to tear into the motor or pay a shop a boatload to do it. Many guys on here have done it if you have any specific questions about it I know Tuscany just did his truck so he could answer more specifically about how long it takes and tools and what not.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 AM

I think 17,500 for a stock 160,000mile truck might be a bit much. I think if Dad was to try to trade this in he might find a bit of a shock. You said it has a bully dog programmer so I assume that it does not monitor any temps on the truck. So what that sais to me is that you have no idea of the true condition of the engine. Your delta's could be perfect or you could have a rolling time bomb juz waiting to suck up the cash.
Havin a truck that you know were it came from and what has been done to it is awesome. But you dont reeley know what's goin on deep down. Look into a scanguage II minimum. PM me if you got any questions I can help u with.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 AM

Oh yeah i forgot to add-
Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
1. Yes with the right mods to essentially "bulletproof' it, the 6.0 is a great motor.

2. By aftermarket goodies do you mean things to bulletproof the truck or modify it?

3. And yes ARP head studs and EGR delete are good but you will either need to tear into the motor or pay a shop a boatload to do it. Many guys on here have done it if you have any specific questions about it I know Tuscany just did his truck so he could answer more specifically about how long it takes and tools and what not.
Should have made that more clear. Looking at making the truck bullet proof not building a high HP truck. I did a little reading on the head studs and it does sounds like quite the process and a spendy one if its not done on your own. How necessary are they? The Bullydog was ran for three years and then it was de-tuned. It was ran on the tow setting the majority of the time.

Thanks for the response
Old 10-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
I think 17,500 for a stock 160,000mile truck might be a bit much. I think if Dad was to try to trade this in he might find a bit of a shock. You said it has a bully dog programmer so I assume that it does not monitor any temps on the truck. So what that sais to me is that you have no idea of the true condition of the engine. Your delta's could be perfect or you could have a rolling time bomb juz waiting to suck up the cash.
Havin a truck that you know were it came from and what has been done to it is awesome. But you dont reeley know what's goin on deep down. Look into a scanguage II minimum. PM me if you got any questions I can help u with.
Thanks for the welcome!

The Bullydog display screen does show EGT's, tranny temp, coolant temp, oil etc... Like mentioned above it was ran the majority of the time on a modest setting and after the tranny wen't he de-tuned it but kept the display to monitor temps. But you are probably right in saying that I have no idea of the true condition of the engine. Might be a dumb question but what are some steps that I could take in finding out if the motor is hammered out or not???
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERMAN View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

The Bullydog display screen does show EGT's, tranny temp, coolant temp, oil etc... Like mentioned above it was ran the majority of the time on a modest setting and after the tranny wen't he de-tuned it but kept the display to monitor temps. But you are probably right in saying that I have no idea of the true condition of the engine. Might be a dumb question but what are some steps that I could take in finding out if the motor is hammered out or not???
Well you can buy a monitor like an Edge CS or CTS. Then plug it in and get the truck warmed up at 65 mph on the freeway. Then check the difference in temps of your EOT (Engine Oil Temp) and ECT (Engine Coolant Temp). If they are more than 15* apart then that means you have a clogged up oil cooler and if the heads haven't already lifted, they will soon if left unattended.

As for headstuds, if you plan to keep the truck completely stock then the stock TTY Headbolts will be fine. However since you will probably get a case of M.A.D. (Modification Addiction Disorder) I'd recommend doing it if you ever want to tune which you will.

And as far as price goes 17,500 is high for a 160,000 mile truck.

Any more questons, fire away.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERMAN View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

If it shows your eot/ect then your good to go with what you got. Now search delta's or pluged up oil cooler temps and take her out for a drive and see what ya got. (long story short you dont want to see your oil temps get much more that 15* diffrence than your ect. Go for a easy drive on a flat road and see what ya got)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.