Noob needs advice for first diesel. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob needs advice for first diesel.

Hello, first post here and hopefully soon to be owner of first diesel.

After about 2 weeks of looking through the forum and some other places for info, I still am looking for a few difinitive answers.

I plan on getting an Excursion 7.3L, with this I plan on towing maybe once a month during part of the year. I will be towing a 22-28 (havent bought trailer yet) foot enclosed trialer with the wedge front, hauling 4-6 quads and gear.

I have read the info on towing with a lift. I would like to have a slight lift, at extreme 6", or at least look like its lifted. The factory wheels are 16" and would like to get 18-19". I dont plan on putting any mud tires or huge sized ones on it. I will be buying a non lifted Excursion and having it put on by reputable dealer.

I will get the Edge setup with a good exhaust, and probably put on an bypass filter, and re gear for tires/lift. Also plan to use this http://www.airridehitch.com/receiver...html#Class8ext

My questions are:

1. What would be the best combination of wheels/tires and lift (or not) to
make it look good and still not loose much on MPG.

2. Will putting taller wheels/tires and lift be a big problem with a trailer like
that?

3. Any other suggestions to accomplish my goal and be safe.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

FiveseveN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Hey welcome to Powerstroke.org! One of the smart guys will be along in a sec to answer your questions.
You wouldn't happen to own an FN would ya? Your screen name reminds me of a pistol I have.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Welcome to the forum!!!

your not talking about a really serious load......figure out your approx hitch weight. The next thing will be the tires.....you should NEVER put four tires on that dont add up to the Max GVW of the truck, especially if your gonna be towing. As long as the weight rating on the tires is sutable for the wieght you are going to be towing, then you should have no issues......
Old 07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger
Hey welcome to Powerstroke.org! One of the smart guys will be along in a sec to answer your questions.
You wouldn't happen to own an FN would ya? Your screen name reminds me of a pistol I have.
Yeah I bought one of the early IOM models, so early in fact that the store I always buy from had a LE only sticker on it. That thing is great, shoots even better..........just got my P90 from them also.

Marc, thanks........yes its not a real major load, they are sport quads which weigh in at about 300-400 a piece. I havent gotten the specs on the trailer yet to see what the weight is and weight per axel. I cant recal what the hitch weight is off hand but I know the max tow capacity is 11,000.

I am not sure I follow you on the tires though, sorry.

Thanks,

FiveseveN

Last edited by FiveseveN; 07-18-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveseveN
I am not sure I follow you on the tires though, sorry.

Thanks,

FiveseveN
each tire has a load rating....it will be a letter....like an E rating for example. Each letter means it is meant to carry that much load. the four tires combined load capacity should equil the max GVW of the truck....or at least the combined GVW with the trailer. Idealally, you should never go below max GVW for the truck.......(GVW is gross vehicle wieght....the max # you can have as gross vehicle wieght is your truck plus the heaviest trailer it is supposed to pull, loaded with all passangers and equipment)

Talk with a reputable tire shop about the tire ratings as apposed to the GVW of the truck, they should be able to assist you with a proper purchase....
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Good stuff, thanks I will check that out.

Also will going to a 18-19 inch wheel with a reasonable tire make a tremendous impact on gas mileage, or will it be just a hit of 1-2 mpg?

Also does anyone have input on Question 1, I am anxious to see what would be a good combination of wheel/tire/lift that will look good but not sacrifice much on gas mileage.

Thanks

FiveseveN
Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveseveN
Good stuff, thanks I will check that out.

Also will going to a 18-19 inch wheel with a reasonable tire make a tremendous impact on gas mileage, or will it be just a hit of 1-2 mpg?

Also does anyone have input on Question 1, I am anxious to see what would be a good combination of wheel/tire/lift that will look good but not sacrifice much on gas mileage.

Thanks

FiveseveN
first thing will be having your PCM and ABS module recalibrated to the proper tire size so you can accuratley tell milage and speed. Depending on the overall tire cirucumference, the difference could be negligable, or up to 3-4 mpg....it all depends on how big you go.....i would expect 1-2 mpg on average though.....ill let the other guys chime in on what has worked for them....
Old 07-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run 315 75 16 BFG Mt's (35") with 4.56 gears, and I get between 17 and 19 MPG, depending on (believe it or not) how hot it is ouside. Dragging a trailer (12,000 lbs) is more like 13 to 14 MPG
Old 07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
FiveseveN from what I know there are not any tires available for an eight lug truck or any pickup for that matter in 19". You'll be stuck with either 18 or 20 inches. They do make 19's but i've seen very few made and mostly for passenger cars, my buddy has some on his 350z. Even if you could get a 19" wheel for your lug pattern I would doubt that you could find a tire in a larger size like you're looking for in that size. 18's will ride pretty decent versus the 20's....but I honestly don't notice much difference between the 325/65/18's (35" tall) I had on my Powerstroke and the 305/55/20 (33" tall) I am currently running on my Cummins. I haven't noticed much difference in the 305's after going to them from stock tires, but they're not a whole lot bigger. My PSD had 35's on it when I bought it so I wouldn't be able to tell how much the loss could be.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Marc & Log Dog, I have some real good info to go off of now to narrow down what size I want. From what I gather there is no formula to calculate an approximate MPG based on tire/wheel size, gears and lift.

Sounds like its going to be trial and error, beepbeepbeepbeep thats going to be expensive.

Well at least I got the wheel/tire type narrowed down to Weld Cheyenne and Nitto Terra Grappler.

FiveseveN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.