Decisions, decisions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decisions, decisions

I have a 98 6.5L diesel from the other guys that is starting to cost more than it's worth. I need input on what's the best truck going forward (even if it's gas) for the following uses: 10 or less driveways to plow, often tow a 3000 lb tailer, and in 1-3 years will have a slide in camper. Any thoughts on the right truck? Thx for responding! (By the way, will NEVER buy a gm again!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think a gas truck would handle the plowing and trailer just fine, however I can't really say for the slide in camper.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkpaint View Post
I have a 98 6.5L diesel from the other guys that is starting to cost more than it's worth. I need input on what's the best truck going forward (even if it's gas) for the following uses: 10 or less driveways to plow, often tow a 3000 lb tailer, and in 1-3 years will have a slide in camper. Any thoughts on the right truck? Thx for responding! (By the way, will NEVER buy a gm again!)
What kind of problems are you having with that 6.5? I used to have one of those, and it's actually a pretty reliable engine. (they don't use it in the military hummers for no reason.) Anyway, a common problem with them that general mechanics surprisingly don't know much about is the PMD. If your truck stalls spontaneously and won't restart for some time, thats pretty much guaranteed to be the problem. If this or similar symptoms are whats going on, let me know, I can go into more detail with you about the solution. Much cheaper than buying another truck. If this is not the issue, I'm just talking out of my backside, and will not waste anymore of your time.

BTW: To answer your question, it sounds like for what you need it for, any Ford F250/350 any year, any cab configuration, any engine will do the trick. As long as it's 4 wheel drive of course...
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thx for the response! I have had PMD problems. Almost replaced it again this last winter, but almost as a second thought I applied a liberal amount of dielctric (sp?) grease to the connection and, voila, no more problems! Just yesterday had a little hiccup and thought, oh crap, here we go again. So I have to watch it. The truck does have the heatsink extension that's supposed to keep it cooler. Who knows.

Who would you recommend as a vendor for PMD's? Locally they are way expensive.

And thanks for your input on my future truck needs. While my 98 2500 6.5 has served well, it's not the engine so much that is costing me. It's the normal bits and pieces (next is the steering gearbox) that are wearing out that's killing me!

BTW, hwy mpg is 17-18 @65 mph all day. Only degrades a little with my trailer.

BTW, that's a good looking truck!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Thank you sir! Since you already have the isolator/heat sink, you can go through ebay or amazon.com - search 6.5 PMD and you will see a plethora of options. Both places seem to be around the $200 range for new ones. Only benefit I see with ebay is that some vendors have a package deal with a resistor (that must be present). I recommend a #9.

Check out Heath Diesel, Inc. , they have a lot of cool goodies there. I got a lot of help from a very knowlegable guy named Bill, and their products turned my old 95 Chevy into a new animal. ssdieselsupply.com is another vendor with lots of goodies. I really like to see those 6.5s on the road, it's not very often. I miss my old truck, just needed - ok, wanted something bigger.

BTW, That turbomaster from heathdiesel is a worthy investment. The vacuum pump on the truck operates the wastegate for the turbo, and they are known to go out. Fortunately, the 2500s have the L65 engine, so thats the only thing the vacuum pump operates. The brakes are assisted by the power steering pump. If you get the turbomaster, you can actually do away with the vacuum pump completely - just get a shorter belt from your local auto parts place. One less accessory for the engine to spin for no reason - if it's bad of course. One way to test the vacuum pump is to start the truck, open the hood, grab the wastegate rod and try to move it. If you can move it, the pump is bad.

Any other questions, let me know - I'm happy to help, if I can. I've done much research on those engines, just don't have the truck to use it on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.