Just bought the Ford.... Tips and tricks anyone?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought the Ford.... Tips and tricks anyone??

I have always been a Cummins man and I maintain my **** with absolute pride. I ended picking up a 2002 F350 Roll Along edition for $7k and have been making it perfect. I plan to use it to haul my 20,000 lb trailer and around town. I would LOVE some tips, tricks, and things to watch out for and some little questions I have here and there answered.

Let me tell you what I am working with and what I know about the truck..... (this is all from what I have found out, NO prior knowledge was known on it before I bought it).

244,000 miles, New turbo (from looking at the intake blades), 50 HP injectors (figured from BUZZ test) and a new tranny (figured by my tranny guy friend). It has a boost gauge, a non working pyro gauge, and a volts gauge. I fixed the pyro. I also put a superchips tuner on it, and flushed ALL the fluids.

I run the superchips on performance (or mileage XS as they call it, whatever) on a day to day basis. On TOW when I tow.... obviously. Is running the chip on that setting OK for it all the time??? What have you guys had best luck with in regards to this chip?

Also, what is the MAX EGT I should hit when towing?? And for how long? With my dodge it was 1300 for no more than four minutes, what about these trucks? From what I hear they incur Turbo damage very easily, is this true? And what does it take to damage the turbo??

Ever since I installed the Superchips tuner I sometimes will not have radio/locks etc for the first minute when I start the truck up.... WTF? I had a hypertech before it and never did anything weird. The only thing different on the superchips is I am running it higher and set it to correct for tires (although strangely enough the speedo was already correct for 35's.... Idk how... I did it off the superchips though for shifting points to be correct, which I am going to change).

What is a normal cruising EGT? With my CAT back RBP exhaust I run 600 down the road all day long.

Is it typical for the auto hubs to break? I only have one that works which makes it so 4wd does not work. And when I try and engage it to 4wd my AC goes to defrost.... why?

I also have a K&N intake, and after reading about dusting of the turbo I kind of want to swap it out.... should I?? Or just keep it super oiled? Because right now I clean it every month or two and oil the hell out of it. Will this save from dusting? Or dump it and go to a late model intake from factory?

Thats all I have right now, more to come for sure. Any help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

DO NOT OVER OIL the air filter, that oil is hard the turbo, also the oil settles out in the lines and intercooler.
The A/C goes to defrost because the auto hubs are vacuum operated and have leaks, the vent selector also is vacuum operated and dfrost is the default setting with no vacuum present.
EGT's are going to be about the same as with your dodge.
For towing get a larger tranny cooler, like from a 6.0 ford, the stock one is not very big.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So are the vacum leaks just a normal thing? Or should I track it down? And I won't over oil the filter again, I have only done it one time so far then. Should I put a stock filter back on it?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the vacum leak isnt 'normal'. You definatly should try and track it down and fix the leak. And I would not run an oil filter in my truck. Look up napa 6637 filter. Cheap and easy and a great filter. thats what most 7.3 people seem to be doing. EGT's down the road you sound normal... international says you can run 1250 all day long with short burst above that. Also with your tuner ive never heard a ton about them.. most 7.3 people seem to run dp, beans, tw, php.... I may be forgetting one. I run a dp tuner and love it but any of those you cant go wrong.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Canned tunes like superchip really limits these trucks. You'll want a custom chip from beans, dp, tw, swamps, or php. Like motormorgan said, 6637 napa filter is a great filter for these trucks. I bought mine from riffraff diesel, just because it came with a new clamp, filter, and a 4" piece to connect it.

You can probably help your EGTs out by getting a 4" down pipe. I only read about you have a cat back exhaust. Also, depending on where you are, I'd remove the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.