need help with my 7.3l - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with my 7.3l

okay, so im very computer illiterate as it took me 2 hours to figure out how to start a thread for my questions, i am also not very mechanically inclined when it comes to diesels, reason why i am on here. i have a 2001 f-350 super duty 7.3l 4x4 with 85,000 miles and perfect lariat interior, point being i love this truck to death and im going to be barried in it. so im a little upset cuz i was recently deployed and let my brother drive it while i was gone so it didnt sit too long. now i am home, ever since i got back in it, it seems like it just isnt running the same. if it sits for a whole day, when i start it up sometimes it will lope for a second or two. i felt it shake just a little bit today and the other day when i was at a red light but it doesnt do it all the time, but i do know those could be signs of bad injectors. now also my turbo sounds weird, idk how to explain it but it just dont seem rite to me, also it feels like it is lagging a little bit. what do you guys think? im thinking of just getting my oil changed full synthetic and some rev-x maybe? also add "kleen-diesels" injector cleaner to my fuel everytime i fill up?? but also i have questions on what to put in my 7.3l. i may not need to replace injectors or turbo, but i am going to just to be safe and i do want to make it a bad ***** and go to the strip and beat up on some ricers, but i have to ball on budget and it is my DD. all i tow is palm trees, cattle and a mud truck. so if i do my injectors and turbo, what is best for performance? i heard stage 2 hybrids are good i guess swamps?? and that the h2e is bad ***, but the gtp38r is simpler, i jus want something bigger and badder, lol, but would i have to change alot of other things as well?? rite now all that is done to my truck is 6" lift on 35-13.50-20 mickey thompsons, dual tranny coolers, afe intake with the box divider or whtaver its called, lol, 4" straight piped with 5" flowmaster tip, and a superchips chip, im not sure what chip it is cuz my dad put it in and he is not around anymore so i cant ask. but it does get up and go for 7.3l. and it is a automatic. i just wanna get this thing moving real good and smooth and beat some ricers and duramax's, lol. yea yea i know its a 7.3 so its slow, but i dont want nothing else. oh and whatever turbo i get i think i want to add a wicked wheel to it and an after market wastegate, not sure who makes the best. i heard good things about banks wastegates and stuff. idk, hope you guys will help me out, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would also like to add the fact that my brother is an idiot and probably went running around town hot dogging it blowin black smoke everywhere trying to show off cuz my truck is very nice and pulls alot of women. lol, but anyways he probably beat the hell out of it. for some reason i have to replace the ball joints too. im gonna drop kick him in the throat when i get to his house. =) lol, oh and also my fuel mileage seems to be decreasing, i went from 15.8 mpg now to 14.2 within 3 weeks
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good find for a low milage 7.3. I love mine to death. As for the problems, I would get a code scanner and see if you're throwing any codes. If you're not throwing any codes I'd take it to your local mechanic and see if he can diagnose your problems. Gauges are also a must as I am looking for a set. I would look at symptoms of Turbo-Flutter. I don't know much about it.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea i was actually going to scan it today....didnt have the time, but i will. i didnt want to take it to a mechanic because i dont want them to bull**** me and try to make a whole bunch of money off me because i aint good with diesels. specially if i ask them what the best injecotrs and turbo and stuff to put in it for what i want, im sure they would just tell me the most expensive thing, i mean idk, ive never had to take my stuff to a mechanic.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Winning DUHHH

Does the turbo make a cha-cha-cha when the turbo is spooled up? Does it smoke any at startup?? If so what color?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no, none of those. just lagging.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Winning DUHHH

Change all your filters and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Before you use any additives in the oil read the Rev-x thread in this section. You might have to go in a page or two but take the time.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM

definitely install gauges before you go any farther. how much are you looking to spend performance wise?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

aint got a whole lot of money. damn bills. but im willing to go broke spending my money on my powerstroke. but yea i been told to get gauges, im gonna look them up, think im gonna get isspro, i know the truck has a superchip in it but dont know what one, im sure it would be best to get rid of that and go with a custome tune, but idk wich one, i hear so mutch about TW, TS, beans, swamps, SCT, DP, PHP etc. figured i should jus change injectors anyway and go ahead and get stage 2's from swamps maybe?? and im jus gonna throw a wicked wheel in my turbo. then save up for a new turbo, but like i said idk whats best. i could rig up a gas motor all day long to be a bad ***** for the most part, but im lost with diesels, as mutch as i love them im tryng to learn and hope to get good advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, chips, f-350, injectors, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.