Thinking of Getting Rid of My '97 / 7.3vs6.0 Qs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of Getting Rid of My '97 / 7.3vs6.0 Qs

I love my truck, but I feel that it is finally getting to the point where I can't afford the annual repairs it's taking to keep it on the road.
I'm torn between having to get a loan to fix what I have, that's in rough shape. Or getting a loan for something newer/nicer.

On the newer route; I will only buy another F-250 PSD, it will either be a newer 7.3 or a 6.0, and I have some questions:
Which engine is more dependable?
Which engine tolerates bio fuels better?
Which engine is more fuel efficient/can be made more fuel efficient?
Transmissions: my truck now is a ZF-5, I'd love to stick with a manny but options are usually limited, which one has the better transmissions?

I know the 7.3 very well having done the majority of the repairs on my '97 myself. That's a +1 to the 7.3 route, and being a little older means being a little cheaper...

My beloved '97:

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Mike,

I'm on my 2nd 6.0 PSD vehicle. First one was a 2006 F250 Crew Cab and now I'm driving a 2004 Excursion. Between both vehicles I never had any trouble with the exception of the vacuum pump going out on the F250 and that wasn't a hard fix. Both vehicles got 20+ MPG when I had them tuned for mileage and I didn't drive them too hard. The Excursion is currently getting somewhere around 23 MPG, but I don't drive very fast as I am usually in no hurry to get to work. Some people will tell you that the 6.0s are junk and they blow head gaskets and bolts like its going out of style. Unless you bump them way up with your tunes or flat out abuse them, problems aren't as common as people make them out to be. The 7.3 is a tough motor, but I double you'll ever see the MPG and power that you can get with a 6.0. (I'm sure I'll get dinged for that last comment). The transmissions they put behind the 6.0s are solid and neither of mine have given me any problems. I have a good friend at work with a 1999 F250 with the 7.3 and he loves it. But he's getting the same mileage I am and he's running a 2wd truck and I'm running a 4wd Excursion. His transmission also feels like its going to drop out of the truck every time it shifts. It doesn't have solid shifts and never seems to shift the same twice. He loves the truck and its approaching 200K miles, so I can't say too much bad about it.

As far as a 7.3 being cheaper...Around here the 6.0s are prices as good if not better than the 7.3s. Most of that comes from the folks that heard once from their brother's wife's uncle's buddy that the 7.3 will pull a house off the foundation and that the 6.0 will blow up if you go more than 45 MPH. But for you, that may allow you to get into a newer truck for less money. I wish you luck finding a manual transmission, they are few and far between these days unless you order one that way. If it were me, I'd prefer a 6.0, but I wouldn't overlook a 7.3 if the price was right. Good luck with your decision.

Take care,

John
Old 08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think a 2000-2003 7.3 would be a good investment, a low mileage one. Honestly I love my 6.0 more than my 7.3 but they are not everyones cup of tea. If you find a manual good condition 7.3 I think you would be satisfied, a little harder to find manual 6.0s.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
what are you using the truck for? Do you actually need a diesel? my 6.0 has cost me less then the 7.3s had. But they are still expensive to maintain
Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I use my '97 to pull multiple trailers (including my tractor pictured), and help me around the yard. I'm one of the few people now a days that actually uses their truck for the purpose it was built. It just also has to serve double duty as my DD.
I also feel that diesels engines are a far superior method of internal combustion due to their durability, natural efficiency, and the broad spectrum of oils they can run on.
So for a truck, I will stick with diesels.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange150 View Post
I use my '97 to pull multiple trailers (including my tractor pictured), and help me around the yard. I'm one of the few people now a days that actually uses their truck for the purpose it was built. It just also has to serve double duty as my DD.
I also feel that diesels engines are a far superior method of internal combustion due to their durability, natural efficiency, and the broad spectrum of oils they can run on.
So for a truck, I will stick with diesels.
I semi agree, motor wise my 90 7.3 IDI was the simplest thing I have ever owned, and probably my favorite truck. however, the EPA has completely killed what the diesel engine is all about now adays with EGR, dpf, urea etc. they are not what they used to be. my truck has no problem pulling hay wagons, round bales, bobcats etc as well as being used for my swimming pool buisness and plowing. but my next truck will be a 6.2 gas job, Im just waiting 4 or 5 months till my current job is up where I get free diesel fuel

Bio fuel I would probably go with a 7.3, their injectors are less picky, however its not to say they havent had their fair share of Injectors, oil pan, Glow plug/harness, ICP, CAM, HPOP issues, manual trans are ZF6 in late models, but the 5R55 torqushift will out perform and take more abuse then an E4OD.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange150 View Post
On the newer route; I will only buy another F-250 PSD, it will either be a newer 7.3 or a 6.0, and I have some questions:
Which engine is more dependable?
Which engine tolerates bio fuels better?
Which engine is more fuel efficient/can be made more fuel efficient?
Transmissions: my truck now is a ZF-5, I'd love to stick with a manny but options are usually limited, which one has the better transmissions?
-It is far and wide known, as you probably know yourself, that the 7.3 is a "more reliable" engine. The 6.0 isn't a bad engine per say, as long as it stays stock. Mods/More power = more stress on the head bolts, more soot to clog up the egr etc...you get the idea.

-7.3 will take better to alt fuels due to the lack of emissions controls and all the bs that comes along with them. Also due to the lack of emissions, the 7.3 will get better gas mileage. Throw a few mods on them like an exhaust, intake and chip it it can run much more efficiently, but the 6.0 isn't all that bad either.

-The torqshift is a better tranny than the e4od but, if you're going to buy a stick anyway you'll be in total control of what goes on with the transmission which will help it last.

It all depends on how you prioritize these things. And it kills me to say this but, from the sounds of the things you do, and if you leave the truck mostly stock you might be better off going with a 6.0. Until I die I'll swear by the 7.3(and never own a new truck in my life) but, due to the common and very expensive problems the plague the 6.0 a solid 7.3 is about the same price, if not more than a comparable 6.0. Just some food for thought... Best of luck to ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.