Gross Weight on Vehicle Registration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Is your gross weight on your registration correct for what you pull?
Yes, it reflects truck and trailer. 0 0%
No, nobody ever gets a ticket for that. 4 66.67%
Huh? I ain't that fat, quit calling my weight gross. 1 16.67%
I carry a box of Crispy Creams at all times to make the cops go away. 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gross Weight on Vehicle Registration

Just got my renewal in the mail yesterday and I see my gross weight is 10,000 lbs.
So, with the truck weighing 6700 empty and my car hauler with something on it weighing 7000 I appear to be looking at a fine for running 4000 lbs over my weight class.
OK, I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over and weighed by the motor carrier cops in a pick up truck, but I know it can happen. I am also getting my CDL and don't need ANY violations that can effect that.

Well, I guess the point of all this rambling is: Are you guys running the correct GCWR on your registrations or paying the lower amount because you know you won't get pulled over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 AM

I dont think your weight is the trailer and truck combined, I have plates for my trailers that go by weight themselves.

The trailer is a seperate axle and uses its own plate so its only the weight of the truck itself and not the trailer weight added in...

Last edited by ryan20021982; 10-14-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Ryan is right. When I got my plates they asked how much I put into the bed and actually knocked the gross vehicle weight down some to save me some money. I asked about when I am towing and was told the plates on the trailer cover that weight.
-Aaron
Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From the back of the renewal form: "Register a straight truck pulling a trailer for the maximum gross weight to be carried by the combination. DO NOT DEDUCT THE TRAILER FEE FROM THE AMOUNT TO BE PAID."

Notice the 2nd sentence, capitalization is the way it is on the form, yes it sure looks like DOUBLE PAYMENT to me.

OK, it might be different from state to state. I happen to live in the Commonwealth of Virginia. (commonwealth means I have a job and pay taxes so the people who choose to live off public assistance for their entire lives may do that and not be hungry or cold and still have money to buy crack.)
Old 10-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to powershooter
i run the corect GCWR because me and tools alone i am over the lighter option .
Old 10-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

Hmmm...I guess it depends on the state and you'll have to look into it more to be sure. Our registration/titles don't say anything that I can find on that subject. I just know what I was told, haven't had any problems yet.....Paying for the trailer weight makes no sense otherwise you could be paying for 30,000+ lbs depending on what you tow, and I don't know exactly what it would be, but I know they saved me around $100 just dropping under the next lower thousand pound increment.
-Aaron
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

gvwr is the truck alone the trailer and truck combined cant be over 25000 poinds by law read the defintion on ur drivers license about gwr if it goes higher then that u need to get calss B license to go for the high rating but the gvwr goes for the truck,passengers,and all cargo
hope this answers ur ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.