Question for Rev-x users. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question for Rev-x users.

I am a member of CompD and have had a few suggestions to come over here to ask you guys a question about this oil additive. i know that this is a cummins engine but it had Rev-x used in it. i will post a link to the thread that is on going over there as there is too much to type over again.

what is this and how did it get there - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

my question is have any of you ever found pieces like this in your oil pan? i have had part of it sampled and it came back as Graphite. i also have another sample out at Blackstone getting tested. i know the ford guys use this additive more than the cummins or duramax guys. any input is appretiated.

thanks

michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Interesting reading the entire thread from your forum. All products must have a MSDS sheet, at least in NJ. As for oil additives, no. The additive can have detrimental effects on the oil. Each grade has specific additives that have been tested and reseached. Adding something else to the mix will "upset" the balance and possibly reduce the protective qualities of oil.
I would not use a product that the manufacturer does not stand behind or give support to their customers. Good luck with the truck and I hope the "mystery" substance doues not return.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes I agree^^ I am also very interested to see what the culprit ends up being. I haven't ever used rev-x but I have used hot shot secret on my 6.0 and after reading your thread what they said about moly is starting to worry me because hot shot secret uses moly in it and on the msds sheets it also has the whole trade secret bs. Please post back here and let us know what you end up finding out.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more information. Still interested to see if anyone else has seen anything like this or has an idea where it came from.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-06-2012, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Yes I agree^^ I am also very interested to see what the culprit ends up being. I haven't ever used rev-x but I have used hot shot secret on my 6.0 and after reading your thread what they said about moly is starting to worry me because hot shot secret uses moly in it and on the msds sheets it also has the whole trade secret bs. Please post back here and let us know what you end up finding out.
Delo, Delvac (IIRC the second and third best selling oil brands in the world, behind Rotella) and John Deere has used significant amounts of moly in their oils for years with no apparent revolutions from fleets and farmers. IMHO I doubt it is that.

Rev-X has HUGE sluges of potassium and sodium in it and IIRC boron and calcium...

UOA with Rev-X - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Thats not from the rev x. Who did you piss off?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thats not from the rev x. Who did you piss off?
No one. Who would use graphite to sabotage an engine. Its not rock or metal. Its been formed in the engine some how. Rev-x and zddplus have been the only additives in this engine since it was new. The only oil that has been put in here is the oil from the factory and shell rotella. So I believe that either one of the additives have created a chemical reaction to produce this. So far no one has seen this with the zddplus and I am the second that has with rev-x.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

here is a post on the oil analysis from Blackstone. the only thing on the break down of the contaminates was the silicone was at a 46 when the norm for it was 6. other than that this statement is the only thing that i have recieved on the pieces i found.

MICHAEL: That's a lot of solid material. Our analysis showed that the chunks were not metallic, for the most part (there was one small piece that was attracted to a magnet, but that was just a small sliver of iron, and probably not related). The larger black chunks appeared to be mostly carbon or graphite, and we found at least one sliver of wood! That would not be a deposit, so maybe the chunks were added. The only thing revealed in the spectral analysis was silicon, possibly showing dirt, but that's not the main constituent.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM

So, still no "smoking gun". I say whatever results you were looking to gain with that "rev-x stuff", research a quality synthetic oil. No extra additives.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The purpose of that or the zddplus was for the excess wear on the cam due to the profile and heavier valve springs. The zddplus is what the cam manufacture recommends when you run their heavy duty valvetrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.