advice needed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
advice needed!

my '01 7.3 excursion started idling rough and lost all power. I was away from home at the time and my extended warranty made me go to a ford dealer. the dealer said the #8 inj was bad and fuel was leaking into the valley from either the fuel heater or thermastat faulting out. both were replaced. The truck runs fine now but has a rod knock sound that you can hear when idling. Not loud but noticable...every 3-5 seconds or so.

The truck idled for 15 minutues or so under the rough idle condition. would this have effected a rod? the service tech said the one bad injector effected the amount of fuel/oil pressure getting to that entire side of the motor. Am I being anal or should I be concerned?
Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org

I can't help you with your problem.. but this will bump the thread up so that someone who can will be more likely to see it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I have no clue either bud, but some Tech's are online -- so we'll bump this up again..

Welcome to the .org!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
how long since they replaced the injector or did they replace the injector. low rpm knock is commonly an injector problem still.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeclue View Post
my '01 7.3 excursion started idling rough and lost all power. I was away from home at the time and my extended warranty made me go to a ford dealer. the dealer said the #8 inj was bad and fuel was leaking into the valley from either the fuel heater or thermastat faulting out. both were replaced. The truck runs fine now but has a rod knock sound that you can hear when idling. Not loud but noticable...every 3-5 seconds or so.

The truck idled for 15 minutues or so under the rough idle condition. would this have effected a rod? the service tech said the one bad injector effected the amount of fuel/oil pressure getting to that entire side of the motor. Am I being anal or should I be concerned?
Thanks,
Jeff

I've had that problem that sounded like a rod at idle but it was a broken motor mount.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWayne View Post
how long since they replaced the injector or did they replace the injector. low rpm knock is commonly an injector problem still.
They replaced the injector on Friday afternoon and the knock was noticed friday evening. I picked it up right at 6pm. couldn't take it back to them since they were closed.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
It could also be air in the system. not sure how long it'll take for the air to work out (i've heard 200 +/- miles) but that could be the problem.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Over the weekend I noticed I was a quart or two low on oil. I thought this might be causing me to hear the knock so I changed the oil. Is oil lost when an injector is changed?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

yes oil is lost when changing injector(s). they should of checked that after installing the injector. If it were only a quart or 2 low it's not a big deal, but they still should of checked it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

sounds like its very possible that the injector wasnt installed correctly , or the wrong injector was put in, ive seen an older body style 94 -97 injector put in a new 99-03 engine and cause a noticeable fuel knock,ive believe i would take it back and make them fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.