Need General 4x4 Information - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need General 4x4 Information

Hey All, this may sound elementary but I've never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle before. Is there any special maintenance that I should be aware of? My truck has the shift on the fly feature..anything special for upkeep or known issues with that? Any special front hub maintenance necessary? Is there an interval for changing the fluid in the transfer case? I don't use 4 wheel drive much but I've been told I should at least engage it every month to make sure everything stays loose and operational. If anybody has any general advice on the upkeep of the 4x4 system I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

follow the maint. schedule. also if you get in a bunch of water, you may want to replace the fluids also.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah, and make sure you check those u-joints....
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
Engage the hubs every oil change and drive around a few miles is what I always did with my Ford. You don't have to actually engage the 4wd, just the hubs and that gets the whole drivetrain moving, coats the inside of the front diff with oil, ect. Like posted, check your U joints. I would say check the trasfer case fluid ever oil change and if it ever looks black or smells burnt, swap it out! Transfer case takes ATF (2 quarts).
Old 07-12-2006, 03:42 AM

Ok cool, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I didn't get a manual w/ my truck. I just downloaded one on PDF though. How hard should it be to move the hubs from "auto" to "lock"? I checked mine and they didn't want to move very easily, one of them wouldn't move at all but I didn't know how hard to push it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I had to give mine a decent amount of pressure to turn them. If you have to turn them really hard something may be wrong, i'm not sure.....Marc?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

the less the hubs are used, the tougher they tend to be to use....i would turn them pretty hard...the more frequently they are engaged, the better....

if they just wont engage, i would say they are just siezed up from lack of use....
Old 07-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was actually curious about the 4x4 as well. On the hubs, you can have them set to 'auto' and engage the 4x from the switch inside, or manually lock the hubs?

Wasn't sure what was actually required to engage the 4x or if there was a reason to use one over the other, or if they were equivalent means of getting 4 wheel drive.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

kaz, no matter what you have to turn the switch......but in the auto mode vacume is applied to lock the hubs. In theory, if its working properly, there is not benifit from manually locking the hubs other than the lack of a "clunk" from stuff catching up to speed....

On the other hand, i wouldnt trust anything "auto" as far as serious four wheelin.....i would use the manual lock as much as possible.....plus if you engauge at higher speeds, it is better for the drivetrain if the hubs are already locked in.....
Old 07-15-2006, 06:45 PM

The first mod any of us that use four wheel drive should be a quality set of hubs, from warn, superwinch, or the like. The stock hubs (on all late model Fords) use primarily plastic for the engaging mechanisms. A good set from Warn for example, will be 100% steel. And much more reliable,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.