tranny fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
tranny fluid

I was wondering what is the best tranny fluid I know it can not be Mercon V but is royal purple synthetic better then AMS, or is the regular Mercon better then the Snythetic I am replacing my trans and don't want to waste my money because I didn't use good fluid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

At bd here we recommend OEM fluids so Mercon would be good.using syntetic fluids will help to protect your investment and does help in the heat dept.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
LTJDS

Talking to syn or not to syn that is the ?

Know this and make your own decision.
A. Some synthetics are mostly known for their ability to NOT become as vulnerable to heat as the OEM's. I have not seen any 3rd party test's.
B. OEM or SYN are both garbage if the are Dirty.
C. Your best protection for your New Trans is to install a Trans Temp Gauge.
the majority of what i've read says the OEM Gauge is a Dummy Gauge. AND
Keep your Fluid within it's Temp rating which is available from each fluid manufacturer, AND KEEP IT CLEAN! (over 250F needs a change)
I have recently Rebuilt my Trans with a Sun Coast Race rebuild kit and Their BEST Torque Converter. (What a:burnout freakin difference). I installed a MagHytek Trans pan for added fluid capacity (it's 6 and a 1/2 qts over stock) and it has a Magnetic Drain Plug that retains particles to big for the filter.

I have not had any problems with Mercon V, BUT when I tweak the trans by making the shift from 1st to 2nd harder, Requires using a Lift, I am going to put syn in, Basically I have broken in the new rebuilt with OEM Fluids and now that I am going to do more work on the tranny I am going to switch to synthetics. I did not want to use expen$ive Synthetics when I would be draining the fluid after Tranny Break In.
If you break in with OEM and then go to Synthetics You need to drain your Torque Converter.
Good Luck and let me know if I can help out.

Last edited by LTJDS; 07-10-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjds
I have recently Rebuilt my Trans with a Sun Coast Race rebuild kit and Their BEST Torque Converter. (What a:burnout freakin difference). I installed a MagHytek Trans pan for added fluid capacity (it's 6 and a 1/2 qts over stock) and it has a Magnetic Drain Plug that retains particles to big for the filter.
Hey ltjds - I'm in the market for a torque converter. I have my stock tranny, and it only has 57K on it. Marc tells me a torque converter is a great idea.

Where did you get it? There's quite a bit of info barfed up on a Google search. Hoping you could give me some direction. Wondering if the trans pan would fit my stock tranny and if that's worth doing as well.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:30 PM
LTJDS

Ideas for Santa

Hey SantaCruzin,
For a tranny not being a specific HP Upgrade, ie. Injectors, propane,etc.
The amount of power I was not getting to the ground (slippage)was way more than I could have anticipated.The SunCoast Race rebuild and Upgraded Torque Converter I had installed put much more power to the rear wheels.
A recent article in a Diesel Perf Magazine, said that a Banks TC reduced 0-60MPH times by .8 sec. and a .9sec decrease in 40-60 times all this while towing 7k lb trailer. As for Co$t....The Article I ref above had the Banks TC at $995.00 + a core charge of $250.00 P/N#72521 for a 4R100 in a 7.3 F250.
The SunCoast Rebuild kit was about $500.00 and the TC lists for like just under $1,400.00.
The difference is the Banks unit is rated at 1100/ lb/ft tq and .......
the SunCoast TC has NO LIMIT. SunCoast 2 year warranty unlimited HP, and unlimited Torque
Let me know if I can help answer any ? C-ya ltjds
And yes so far I am pleased with the MagHytek Pan, It does fit the 4R100 stock or not. Just make sure you use the right part number and you should not have any clearence problems. My new TC holds 2 qts over stock and the new Pan holds 6 and 1/2 qts. over stock. Thats alot of extra fluid (8/12qts over stock) You can check out SunCoast @http://www.suncoastconverters.com/
Make sure you gat a good Gauge , Clean fluid and cool temps are the key to a bombproof tranny.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3L PSD, 70hp Injectors,Suncoast trans rebuild w/ TC,4" turbo back,Custom 4 bank/position Chip,K&N FIPK, Powerslot rotors,yellow top Optima's,20x10's w/ 305/50/20's Cooper Zeon XST,4200Watt Alpine Stereo,Clifford Avant Guard 5 Alarm with GPS Tracking.

Last edited by LTJDS; 07-10-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjds
Hey SantaCruzin,
Make sure you gat a good Gauge , Clean fluid and cool temps are the key to a bombproof tranny.
Dude-don't take this wrong, but I didn't understand a freaking thing you just said! But thanks for it. I do get this last piece of advice for sure.

I'll head to the website and see what I can find out. I'm extremely NOVICE when it comes to technical issues around my truck. I wish it wasn't so. But, I'm getting better! Appreciate the help.

Bottom line, per you and Marc - a torque converter, shift kit, good gauge (with the sensor located in the right place), clean oil and staying cool are the big tranny KEYS TO LONGEVITY. I have the large tranny cooler, clean fluid and gauge - now I'll add the other when I have the $$ and time. Hopefully within the next 2 mos.

Appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
thanks yall

I am not new at repairs or diesel but. I don't know everything that is why I still ask questions like synthetic or OEM. Bottom line is this my trans puked on me and no longer goes forward. Being on tight budget I went to the local parts yard and picked up one out of a F-350. This is the third trans problem I have had and my engine is basically stock. So now I will have my truck up and running taken it easy until I can afford to build a trans that will never die on me again. Thanks to everyone that gave me info and I will also be giving info in a short time.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
I have had great luck with Amsoil's ATF. It covers the requirement for the E4OD as well as the 4R100. Great resistance to heat and no sludge build up. Add a Mag Hytec pan and a temp gauge and you really help out your trans for the long run.

I run the Amsoil in my 2006 Dodge race truck and it has yet to fail me. Never has before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.