F-250 Suspension Upgrade to a 350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-250 Suspension Upgrade to a 350

I need to haul more weight on my '05 F-250 CC SB SRW 6.0 PSTD. What it the difference between the F-250 w/ 10,000 lb GVW package and a stock 350 suspension, brakes & rear. I've installed air bags to level the load and will up grade the LT 265/70 R 17 8 ply "E's" to 10 or 12 ply even though the stock ones are rated at 3195 per tire. I'd like to increase the load about 1000 lbs. without going crazy or trading in (would loose my shirt). Any suggestions? Another dumb question! In hauling a 5th wheel trailer with the hitch over the rear axle, what portion of the pin weight is picked up by the rear and how much on the front axle? My current axles are 6000 rear and 6100 front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

the biggest difference betweem the 250 and 350 is only in the springs. Brakes are the same and differentials are the same on most, unless you talk about duelleys.....

as far as the wieght from 5th wheels...im just guessing here, but i would say 80% or better of hte pin wieght is on the rear springs.....
Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 PM

20% of your fifth Wheel's weight will go into the bed of your truck.
If your fifth gvwr is say 12K you can expect to drop 2400lbs into the bed of your vehicle. You should weigh your truck with a full tank of fuel, you, your better half, kids, etc. Everything your going to carry in your tow vehicle. this would include the kingpin (fifth wheel hitch) Subtract that wt from your tow vehicles gvwr. What is left is what you can carry safely.
I am speaking primarily (sp)? of your weight carrying capacity. the other item you should know is your GCWR..(Gross combined weight rating). '
that is your total truck wt & your fifth wheel wt.
I am just a tad under 20K. I'm towing my fifth with a dually.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went to the scale on a busy day so I only got the CGVW of 21,700. The truck can handle 23500 wich is the same for the 350. I guessing that the truck itself is 8K loaded. The pin weight worries me. Company specs call for 2000 pin empty max 2900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.