Finally got an exhaust put on. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally got an exhaust put on.

Yeah, I finally changed my truck from stock. Me and a buddy ordered a 4" budget exhaust each from Gus at Farmboy's and they came in Friday. I started on mine yesterday with pulling the OEM tubes off. I have 80K on my truck so things had time to "meld" together . The downpipe clamp was really stubborn and ended up gualling a thread. I'm guessing from it being heated and cooled so many times. I salvaged it though with a die. No way to get a new one so late Saturday afternoon. Also, I will never do another 6.0 without a lift. It's a biotch getting that DP off with all the insulation on it. I ended up slicing it all the way up and ripping it out. To say I was covered in fiberglass is an under statement. That stuff is still stuck in every joint and fat roll on my body. Once out, I couldn't believe how bottled up it is where they crimp the pipe down. Jesus!! I don't know how it ran as good as it did!! The new stuff went on fairly uneventful thank God. (and Gus) The only thing I ran into was clearance on the pipe going over the rear axle. My truck has 5th/gooseneck hitch rails that are big under the bed and it's really close under there. But, firing it up made it all worth the labor. Sounds nice,,,, really nice. It's an 03 so you guys know it has some spool whistle. Got a nice deep tone when the vanes open up too. I went with the muffler option but no cat. I couldn't do the straight pipe thing simply because I drive bad enough to get more unwanted attention than I need. The sound would just increase my odds of getting tickets. Next weekend I will be helping Glen (my bud) put his on his 7.3. I hope his is easier.

PS. Livewire, here I come.:burnout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Good for you. I know you're glad to have it installed. You'll still enjoy it long after the fiberglass quits itching. LOL
Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
The 7.3 will definately be easier -- basically cause you've already done it once...hehehe -- but because the DP has more room

Glad ya got it on and are enjoying the sound! Give em hell bud
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's awesome, Terry! Yeah, the DP is the biggest PITA, but it's a bit easier if you have someone to help. Congrats on the install!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Sounds like you had a lil fun. Another FBD Budget kit proves itself. You need anything else just pick up the phone and give me a ring.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Banned

I had the same turbo clamp problem with mine! I had to modify a bolt that I salvaged from a 7.3 to get me through until I could get a new one.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 AM

I think I may locate one of those clamps before I start on my buddies. If it proves to be as stubborn, I will just cut the bolt off and replace it to avoid the hassle. I learned a few things though. If you have a cutting rig or plasma cutter, you could make short work of this project. If all you have is a saws-all, then go slow because the OEM DP is made out of thicker wall tubing than the rest of the system. And it's hard too! I burned up a few blades by trying to go too fast. I guess it's thicker because they crimp the hell out of it. It's definately 10 times harder to cut than the rear tube that has to be cut.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you had a lil fun. Another FBD Budget kit proves itself. You need anything else just pick up the phone and give me a ring.
Will do Gus. I'm very pleased with it. Thanks.

Sorry for the double post Marc.

Last edited by owtcast; 09-24-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.