thinking getting a pstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thinking getting a pstroke

arite well for anybody goes crazy on me i dont have a power stroke yet.. I have a 01 cummins ya i know i shouldnt bring that up on the forum lol. but im looking get rid of my cummins for some reasons. mainly my tranny. and another i really dont like the looks of a dodge i only care for the motor it has in it..

But im one for moding trucks. And i been reading lil on the pstrokes and such but aint found much luck. I know ever ps i run in to on the road when im drivng never messing with me or trys to race me. Well mainly i got in some problems this past month.. Well say long story short. gota dui. im 22 have my own house, and i gota be able afford all my bills. Well the dui set my savins account back and im broke. And im looking get rid of my cummins sale it and pay off what i owe about 4 grand and then find a used diesel for around 12 grand and under And been cking out the used pstrokes latly.

I love the bodys of them not all that sure about the motor i know the 7.3s were hard to kill. But what all mods can ya do to them for the rods or head gasket blow? I havnt found much programers or nothing. if somebody can chim in and tell me whats the down falls for a power stroke i'll appricate it. i found a 99 ext cab 4x4 with 6sp for sale i realy like.

Anybody know the pro's and cons about having a manual against a 5 or 6sp? i always know replaceing a clutch is heck lot cheaper than replaceing a auto tranny specially if its built. Well i appriate any help given hopefully i can become a powerstroke fan before to long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

your find is good that year 99 and 00 had forged rods and on the 7.3l you dont have to worry about head studs unless you plan on havening more than 550 hp. i would say stay with the 7.3l dont get a 6.0l. as far as a tuner get the dp tuner its the best check it out at dptuner.com or itpdiesel.com . the manual would be great you can do quite a bit of mods for the 7.3l it just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
First - Welcome to the .org! We enjoy all oil burners here - even if they don't burn it in a PSD

But - glad you decided to check us out...

here goes on trying to answer your questions - I am by far not the most knowledgable, but do have a lot of time a 3:45am here at work

Since it appears you will be looking at 7.3's in that range - you are right that they are pretty solid engines. The early 7.3's had forged rods until 00 or 01-ish -- no one is really exactly sure when they changed and the only real way is to look at the rods ...they were changed to PMR's from forged after 00 or 01 sometime..

they can handle usualy up to 400 HP (the generally accepted threshold) without much trouble at all -- There are lots of tuners and programmers out there -- edge, hypertech, bully dog, banks, bla, bla, bla -- but one of the best customer tuners out there for the 7.3 is Tony Wildman at www.totaldieselperformance.com.

The manual tranny seems to be an expensive fix compared to the auto tranny (stock comparison) - just ask one of our members (Ditty) and he will have more info that you want about the manual trans. Seems you can get a solid built auto trans for 4K or less.

but just like on your cummins, the trans is the weak link in these trucks too unless you do things to change that like a valve body, torque converter, and extra coolers...

all in all, the 7.3 isn't the fastest dog in the hunt, but will run along nice and steady and still will put the hurt on lots of things out there with some decent mods

good luck with your decision and I hope I gave ya some useful info -- if not, some of the other members will be along to correct me/add to what I've typed

again - Welcome to the .org!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:15 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
yeah man. DUI's suck. I got one but luckily i got it on base. Slap on the wrist.. i guess if u call 60 days in the hole and get demoted a slap on the wrist but.. hey ull never catch me drinking and driving again................ if ive had more than 4.

JOKE!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Welcome to the Site!
Hope all gets better for you soon. Hang in there .
Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Welcome to the site! I hate to hear about your misfortunes but just hang tough and things will get better. I don't know much about the 7.3L other than it has been around and those that have them, love them. I will bump this for you so others can hoprfully help you make that switch to the POWER side of diesels! LOL Good luck in your search!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the info so far. ya dui suck 4 or more well thats what got me. i only had 4. and the legal limit here is .008 well i blew a .011 ya only half beer over. The cops were real i cant say. But i got it droped and put on 6 months probation but still its cost me crap load money so far.. As for auto trans i know there most weak part in any diesel. I just fig go with a manual.. I miss shifting gears and nothings more fun than to fogg out somebody at red light by droping it in 3rd gear and lay own it.. NOt sure if a power stroke smoke like a cummins but maybe yall can chime in and tell me. Im ck out the sites yall provided above. Thanks if yall got any more info let me know..

any problems i should look for in the 7.3s most likly be trying find a 7.3 i heard to many bad things about 6.0.

also does the 7.3 have any fuel pressure problems? like my cummins after i put the edge/juice on i had up grad my fuel system for i killed my vp44..

For gauges i know i'll know egt, trans temp, fuel pressure, boost anything else?

Last edited by M_R_M_22; 09-22-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
you can do the FPR mod to up your fuel pressure and the basic problem that is hit or miss with a 7.3 is the cam position sensor ($30 bucks and about 20 min to change) Looks like you have plent of knowledge on the guages and should be good to go with at least the boost, egt, & trans temp
Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya i know gauges is a must i have a cummins lol. speically fuel pressure on them... i cant afford replace that 1200 dollar injector vp44 lol. i have the atf big dog system on my cummins with the walbro 392 fuel pump and big line kit. Had get it after i installed the edge/juice and saw my fp was only like 8psi and went to 0psi at wot. Kina scary... I called about the 99 ps 6sp today guy aready sold it. Id like find a manual but a auto would do just find as well.. Gota get my cummins sold first tho...
Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i love my 6 speed after I put the southbend in it. It is awesome.If you can take off in 3rd in one of these please tell me how. only thing i have had problems with after a tuner is overboostingbut thats an easy fix and if u get a stick no need for a tranny gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.