K&N Sucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
K&N Sucks

Wow, I knew all you guys were saying that K&N lets too much dust and dirt through, but I guess some people just need to see for themselves (Me). I went and bought the Ford Severe Duty AIS setup, just to be safe because everyone said the K&N didn't filter good. Anyway, I put it on last night and thought I would check out the intake tube, it was too dirty for my taste. You could see the dust. I thought the compressor wheel looked ok, so I guess I got lucky. I know it was oiled good, because I was the last one to do it, but I didn't look inside the tube then, or since I bought it. (It already had the K&N when I bought it.) Here are some pics for the other skeptics (like myself).
-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
K&N Sucks-turboinlet2.jpg   K&N Sucks-turboinlet.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
yuck. glad you got a new setup. I had the K&N before I found this forum and the information against using the K&N setup. I still run the K&N in everything else that I own though. Harley's and wifes car.

thanks for the pics...that should make a believer out of a few that might be on the fence about it.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

That just looks like oil residue from your CCV to me....
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeo when I bought my truck it had a K&N intake on it. The first thing i did was replace it with AEM. My friend who goes to Milford Auto told me how bad they are, they let your engine suck in to much dirt, as well as the oil from the filter too.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

I know there is some oil residue in there....But I don't think oil is supposed to be gritty. : I suppose it is possible at one time before I owned it the factory filter setup or an improperly secured K&N filter may have caused it and it just stayed in there until I found it. One can only guess. But I won't be using a K&N anymore on any of my vehicles.
-Aaron
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Speaking of dusting turbos and whatnot. Mine seems to run strong, but I just got gauges and it seems like my boost might be a bit low....What do you guys get empty, full throttle, on flat ground for boost pressure? Either with a stock tune or a mild (60hp or so) tune? I never really thought about it until I started this thread, but now that I have.......
Thanks ahead of time for the info.
-Aaron
Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I know there is some oil residue in there....But I don't think oil is supposed to be gritty. : I suppose it is possible at one time before I owned it the factory filter setup or an improperly secured K&N filter may have caused it and it just stayed in there until I found it. One can only guess. But I won't be using a K&N anymore on any of my vehicles.
-Aaron
Did you have the full K&N FIPK or just the replacement filter?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I have seen dust leak by both the big cone style K&N and the flat factory replacement. I highly recommend the Baldwin PA2818 filter. It only costs about $38 and will deliver plenty of clean air to your baby. My factory filter setup dusted my engine and cost me $4000 to rebuild it doing all of the work myself and hunting for good deals. A long block can cost from $8000-$10,000 and then you gotta either do the work or pay for the work. So a leaky filter can cost from $4,000-$12,000 so it just ain't worth it! Here is a pic of the Baldwin on my early 99 Shutterfly | Slideshow

Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that looks just like cooked oil residue from the ccv due to high temp from the engine not dust. If it were dust you would see the residue all around the inside of the intake tube not just in one location as you have pictured. ive seen many of dusted diesel engine in my career and usually the dust is visible in the suction tube as a light film before the ccv tube if the filter was letting enough dust past the element to damage your engine. ive heard rumors about all the high flow intake kits that they will dust your engine and for one manufactor to make a filter using cotton gauze and oil just like a competitor and say there product is better than the competition is crap. ive run a high flow filter on mine since i bought and ive put 20,000 miles on it since and it runs stronger than ever. but really never mind what anybody says if you have any doubts about a products reliability call the manufactor of your vehicle and of the product and see what they tell you and make a judgement decision based on that.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

It was the cone style K&N filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.