A question about Chip power???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question A question about Chip power????

I posted this in the 7.3 forum with no response. Does anyone have any input about this?

I have just installed a Superchips TDI gold chip with the CARB program. I think it is like 65 hp. I really can't tell much difference in power. It seems there is alittle more turbo whine, but still got the same mpg on the first tankfull. My question is with a 65 hp chip should I feel a considerable more hp or just alittle bit.

I know that if chips are not installed right they don't work, but I followed the install instructions very close. I cleaned the conections untill I could see copper on every one. I really feel that is installed correctly. Any suggestions?

99 F350 4x4 SRW 4 door 6sp DIY intake and BD X monitor gauges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CountryHunter65
Im not real familiar with 7.3 but i know that a 65 horse chip aint really goin to do that much for a 350 4 door. On the other hand I have a SCT XCAL2 for my 250 4 door. There is a 50 horse tune on it and i can tell a small difference than stock hp. I think that havin a 65 horse chip on such a heavy truck is the only reason you cant tell much difference.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
You eather installed it wrong. or the chip dosent work. 65hp will be noticable.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I might be wrong on this one, hopefully I am, but the instructions to installing my ts chip emphasized: "NOTE-DO NOT erode any of the silver material on the edge of the connectors while cleaning the contacts of silicone or lacquer coatings".
Just my thoughts, if you see copper than you cleaned and scraped a little too much, just my opinion I'm not a tech. I can tell a huge difference between stock and 70 horse setting on my truck. I'll gladly be corrected if I'm wrong though.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 AM

the instructions said to clean untill you could barely see copper on the tips. That is what I did. I think I cleaned the laquer good.
My boost gauge will only go to about 16 with the chip have not tried it without chip but I have read that stock should do about that same amount.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a diablo chip @ 62hp and I notice a big difference. Do you have any supporting mods, when all I had was the chip there was only a little gain I could feel. I did the DIY intake and it really made a diff, then a performance muffler made another difference. If you have no other mods then I would say thats the biggest issue.

My cousin "helped" me out by taking a SOS pad to my PCM and removed all the silver on the contacts, all I see is copper and it works fine, not ideal, and he got....anyway. If you use a scotchbrite pad you can see all the laq. coming off and can feel the difference. Make sure the chip is making good contact, usuallly if its not it won't run, or run like sh** from my past experience.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM

The only other mod I have is the DIY tymar intake.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 PM

O.K. I took the chip out, recleaned the connections with a blade...... I know, I know, you should be more carefull. I don't know if I cleaned it any better, but I know that the chip works now!!!!!!! You can certainly tell a difference with it working. My boost gets up to 21 now oposed to 15 before. Huge difference. 65hp is very noticeable. Thanks to all who made suggestions.

JEJ
Old 09-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

glad you got it working man! It is amazing the difference just 65 horses makes on these trucks, makes em a whole lot more interesting to drive! GO POWERSTROKE!! :burnout
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

glad to hear you got it working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.