Yes, Another Oil Question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Yes, Another Oil Question...

It has been awhile since I've dabbled into the forced induction world. The last time was 7 years ago. I had a turbocharged car and used synthetic oil exclusively. I remember reading (but not where) that the characteristics of the synthetic helped lubricate the turbo bearing better. I've also seen that the term "synthetic" isn't what it meant back then either. I guess if you highly filter oil then you can call it synthetic.

I recently acquired this truck and it has lived on Shell Rotella T 15w40 for some time. I was thinking about going to Rotella Synthetic 5w40 for better lubrication including the turbo bearing. But after reading all the posts about oil and that most people are using dino I'm not sure. Am I just an old gasser geezer who has trouble letting go or is there merit to what I used to believe in?

If guys in their KW's, Peterbilt's and Freightliner's are using dino then I'm inclined to believe that it isn't worth double the price to go synthetic. I've got not problem changing oil every 3-5K with dino.

Either way I'm sticking with Shell Rotella T. I'm just teetering between dino 15w40 or "synthetic" 5w40. I live in San Diego so weather isn't a concern.

Can anyone give me the lowdown for my diesel engine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I switched this past winter to 5w-40 rotella. I live in a cold climate in the winter, and it made a world of difference for me. I guess its personal preference on what oil you use.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Rice Hunter

I have to agree with vital.....Rotella is also good! Just keep it maintained IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.