hydrolocked i think??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hydrolocked i think???

i have an 05 6.0 i just put all new injectors in it put it back together and started it i let it sit for bout 5 or 10 min while i was cleaning up tools letting it warm up i bit cause it was cold out and hasnt ran in a couple weeks after it was idleind for a little it started to stumble sounded like it was missing then it just died so i tryed to start it again and i only cranks once and stops like its hydrolocked susposily it has a egr delete on it but i dont trust the gut who told me that i didntpull the glow plugs yet any other suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Did you pull the glowplugs to clear out the cylinders after changing the injectors? Or did you drain the HPOP system before removing the injectors? If not then you could be hydrolocked. One way to tell with out damage. Is you try to turn the engine over by hand. If you have a good size pipe wrench or a socket to fit the crankshaft pulley bolt. You should be able to turn the engine over by hand if not then it could be hydrolocked. If it is hydrolocked. Remove glowplugs and attempt to turn the engine over. I suugest you do this with the injectors disconnected so it will not start up. Also put the valve covers back on before attempting to turn the engine over. If it is hydrolocked and the glowplugs are removed. All that fluid in the cylinders will spray out of the glowplug holes.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You don't have to pull the glow plugs on the 6.0's when changing injectors. There is only a little bit of fuel that ends up in the cylinder. Use a 18mm wrench on the crank pulley and try turning over the engine so that the crank pulley is moving in a clockwise direction. If you can't turn it over with the wrench then you need to pull the glow plugs, crank it over with the starter and see what comes out. Where did you get the injectors from? It is possible that one stuck wide open and is causing your hydrolock.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
...... Remove glowplugs and attempt to turn the engine over. I suugest you do this with the injectors disconnected so it will not start up.....
No glow plugs means no compression. No compression means no ignition
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
No glow plugs means no compression. No compression means no ignition
Tell that to my 7.3L psd that fired up with glowplugs removed. I guess there was enough compression to fire it up.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes the system was drained when i replaced the injectors cuase i replaced the rail plugs HPOP and stand pipes as well i did not remove them before i started it the first time after they were installed can i stuck openinjector dump that much fuel into one cylinder to hydrolock it and i got them from ford there remaned ones
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yes, a stuck injector will lock the engine. You need to pull the GP's, and spin it over. Keep an eye out to determine which cylinder is the culprit. Almost sounds as though the copper sealing washer wasn't seated, and the combustion gases melted the o-rings on the injector causing the cylinder to fill with either oil or fuel, or both! Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
Yes, a stuck injector will lock the engine. You need to pull the GP's, and spin it over. Keep an eye out to determine which cylinder is the culprit. Almost sounds as though the copper sealing washer wasn't seated, and the combustion gases melted the o-rings on the injector causing the cylinder to fill with either oil or fuel, or both! Wouldn't be the first time.
That does happen. It happened to me once. I forgot to torque one injector when I was replacing multiple injectors on the same bank. Mine ran long enough for me to test drive it 10 miles and the customer got 5 miles before it died on him.

What did you torque them to when you put them in?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

didnt realize that could happen i pulled the glow plugs last night didnt have a chance to turn it over it was late but the shaft of them were covered in oil on all of them is that normal and they are all slightly bent i also drained the oil and it was milky for the fisrt couple sec it poured out thats why i way thinkin coolent not fuel but if the o rings on the inkectors meldted i guess it could be fuel as well
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so i cranked it over with the glow plugs out and nothing came out not even a mist but i did have the oil drain plug out and fuel started pouring out after i cranked it a couple times.... how do i tell which injector is bad or do i have to tear them all out to find which one or ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.