4x4 broken - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 broken

I need some ideas to fix my 4 wheel drive. I have a 03 excursion. When I turn the switch nothing happens. Checked the fuses, and replaced the transfer case motor. I had the motor unbolted and turned the switch to 4 high and nothing happened. Going to get the volt meter out and try to track down the problem. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues. Could use ideas where to start. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It's probably and inner axle seal or possibly a torn vacuum hose. Don't let somethin seemingly very complex let you overspend trying to fix something simple.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM

I replaced the inner seal and packed the front hubs with grease. Wouldn't it still work if I manually locked the hubs? I can't get the 4x4 light to come on. I took a wrench and manually turned the transfer case shaft the motor turns and the 4x4 light lit up. My next guess is to get the volt meter to check the 4x4 switch works.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

If the hubs are maually shifted it should work if the tcase is in 4bi. Could be in the switch then I guess.... or somewhere in between which would suck
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM

That was the nightmare that woke me up last night. I know the switch will work fine. Haha
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Ten 4. Nightmare for usre
Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasun26 View Post
That was the nightmare that woke me up last night. I know the switch will work fine. Haha
Jasun, it's been a couple weeks, what did you end up finding? As bad as you thought?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Thumbs up FIXED!!

I had to take it to a local garage to find the problem. After a few days and several issues it's finally fixed. The new transfer case motor is no good after a bench test. There are two relay switches to turn the motor clockwise and counter-clockwise. The guy found out there was a cut somewhere in the wire harness from the clockwise switch and runs to a box on the passenger side behind the glove box. My options were to have him open up the harness to find the cut OR just solder a jumper wire to the wires and bypass the harness. The guy asked if I wanted to do the work to save some money. I center spliced the wires and soldered new wire on. It actually works now. The guy only charged me 169 bucks for a lot of head scratching...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear man! Definite head scratcher
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasun26 View Post
I had to take it to a local garage to find the problem. After a few days and several issues it's finally fixed. The new transfer case motor is no good after a bench test. There are two relay switches to turn the motor clockwise and counter-clockwise. The guy found out there was a cut somewhere in the wire harness from the clockwise switch and runs to a box on the passenger side behind the glove box. My options were to have him open up the harness to find the cut OR just solder a jumper wire to the wires and bypass the harness. The guy asked if I wanted to do the work to save some money. I center spliced the wires and soldered new wire on. It actually works now. The guy only charged me 169 bucks for a lot of head scratching...

Hopefully you are still around, but can you elaborate on what you soldiered? Maybe post up a picture? I am having basically the same issue. Flip the switch,and nothing happens. The 4x4 just doesn't work at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.