diesel help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diesel help?

new to diesels never owned one nor anything with a turbo but i have some what of an understanding of it. got a couple questions about a 99 7.3 after3/1/99

i took it off road the other day threw some sand the back started sinking so naturally its pedal down when that happens. truck revd to about 33-3400 in first and it got out so i let off and it stalled out this happened a couple times.

also if im driving and shift to nuetral it revs up then goes back down.

truck came with a hypertech tuner havent installed it yet but was wondering what the difference between a tuner chip is as far as installation power gains mpg how they work and what they do to the computer

and i hear about ulsd possibly not having proper lubrication additives what can i add to it to ensure proper lubrication
i wouldnt mind blowing a little extra smoke either

what is an egr and what does it do and what are the pros and cons to deleting it

pros and cons to using a bov and is it possible?

and what is surge?

like i said im new to this so any info helps even if it aint about the stuff i asked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepowerstroke92 View Post
i took it off road the other day threw some sand the back started sinking so naturally its pedal down when that happens. truck revd to about 33-3400 in first and it got out so i let off and it stalled out this happened a couple times. Automatic or manual trans? Never done this either way so not sure.

also if im driving and shift to nuetral it revs up then goes back down. Guess it's an auto cause mine does this. No big deal. Not sure why.

truck came with a hypertech tuner havent installed it yet but was wondering what the difference between a tuner chip is as far as installation power gains mpg how they work and what they do to the computer Don't use it. A lot of them do roughly the same thing. Some just fool the computer but some actually tune it. Change timing, ICP pressures (read up on the HEUI system that you have for firing your injectors and it'll make sense.) Get a custome tuned chip that is tuned for exactly what is on your truck and what you want your truck to do. Much safer.

and i hear about ulsd possibly not having proper lubrication additives what can i add to it to ensure proper lubrication
i wouldnt mind blowing a little extra smoke either
Has less sulfur and other stuff. You can run most any fuel additive to help. I don't and I've got 317k miles but if you want it won't hurt at all. A lot of ppl run powerservice dieselkleen. Smoke is not cool. It's hurting our image. Now, if you make 500HP then you're gonna blow smoke. But if you make stock HP and blow smoke, you're dumb.

what is an egr and what does it do and what are the pros and cons to deleting it

You don't have one. It's the same as an EGR on a gas engine only dumberer.

pros and cons to using a bov and is it possible?

Yea possible, no one hardly has one.

and what is surge?

Around 1800-2100 RPMs (don't remember what boost pressures) and under load, the turbo is trying to compress more and more air but the way the compressor wheel is designed, it can't and air is being pushed in but also escaping out backwards. If it's really bad, it can damage your compressor wheel. A wicked wheel can help fix it if you want to.

like i said im new to this so any info helps even if it aint about the stuff i asked

You're gonna love this truck.
If you wanna chip it, I'd do a better intake and free-er flowing exhuast, gauges to monitor your trans temp, boost pressure, and exhaust gas temps, THEN chip it to make sure you don't hurt anything.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Best way to answer your questions is to instruct you to read, read, and then read some more. That is by far the best way for you to learn. Not trying to be a smartass, but honestly, take advantage of the site. There is a mountain of information at your disposal.

If, after reading up on your truck, you still have more questions, feel free to ask away! I can tell you that everything you have asked has been discussed at great length, and by searching you will likely get better answers than you will here by starting a new thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.