Newbie with a question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie with a question

Hello All! Just bought a 2000 PSD F-250 4x4, love the truck, it's my first truck and it's my first diesel. I'm learning a ton here but have a question. Are there any known fuel stations out there that you should stay away from? My dealer filled up the tank when I bought the truck and on that tank on the freeway going 65 to 70 I got just over 21 mpg and was ecstatic. I filled it up at a large Citgo truck stop last week and now the mileage has dropped into the basement, I don't know for sure what it is yet but I can tell it's going to be BAD, I'm not getting near the miles as last tank. My driving style hasn't changed. Any suggestions?...should I shy away from the big truck stops from now on? The dealer said they filled it up at a Mom and Pop station not far from the dealership. thanks! Sorry if these are easy questions but this is 100% new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackb
Hello All! Just bought a 2000 PSD F-250 4x4, love the truck, it's my first truck and it's my first diesel. I'm learning a ton here but have a question. Are there any known fuel stations out there that you should stay away from? My dealer filled up the tank when I bought the truck and on that tank on the freeway going 65 to 70 I got just over 21 mpg and was ecstatic. I filled it up at a large Citgo truck stop last week and now the mileage has dropped into the basement, I don't know for sure what it is yet but I can tell it's going to be BAD, I'm not getting near the miles as last tank. My driving style hasn't changed. Any suggestions?...should I shy away from the big truck stops from now on? The dealer said they filled it up at a Mom and Pop station not far from the dealership. thanks! Sorry if these are easy questions but this is 100% new to me.
how are you checking the mpg's. maybe the trip meter wasnt reset when the dealer filled it up..
shouldnt have a problem with station to station fill ups, i try to get mine at stations that sell more of it, get fresher fuel that way.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:55 PM

I'm just dividing the number of gallons into the miles driven. You're right, maybe the trip meter wasn't zeroed completely. I'll drive it a few more tanks to set a baseline and go from there. On the bright side, if it's getting bad mileage it'll give me an excuse to give to the wife as to why I need to add a cold air intake and chip/tuner!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM

Well I think I found the problem...maybe, you guys tell me. The gauge was about a needles width from being on empty today so I filled it up until it clicked and then put about another gallon in it. It would only hold not quite 21 gallons of fuel....is this correct? I thought these trucks had much bigger fuel tanks than that.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

you can get about 3-4 more gallons in it once the pump clicks off. the fuel foams up a little while filling. there is a mod that is supposed to help reduce that problem, i think it involves cutting the overflow return line that goes into the tank a little shorter. only heard of the mod, never heard if it works..
Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Conservative and Proud

21 Gallons??? That doesn't seem right! When my low fuel light comes on, mine will usually take about 32 gallons + ....
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM

Exactly, that's what I thought. Something is wacky with my fuel gauge. If I bought a heavy duty truck and it only had a 22 gallon tank I'd take it back and say it's defective! I filled it up yesterday probably about 1 gallon past when it clicked off and after only 25 miles it had dropped down 1/8 of a tank already! I've drove 70 miles so far and it's below 3/4 of a tank. I think when it says Empty there's still actually like 10+ gallons left in there. When I filled up I had 430 miles on the trip meter and it took 21 gallons to top it off. Anyone ever replaced the fuel gauge components before? Is it a tough job?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had an 01 SB ext cab and it only had a 25 gal tank. The 06 Crew Cab I ahve now only has a 29gal.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM

After the pump clicks off, wait a couple of seconds then finish filling the tank....r e a l l y s l o w..... you can shove in an extra 5 gallons at least.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel Tank

Hey I Have A 2000 Crew Cab Short Bed Its Listed @ 19gal
I Have Put Upto 24+ In It And The Long Beds I Believe Are 38gal
On The 7.3l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.