Educate me: '02 7.3 PSD, Glow plugs, white smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Educate me: '02 7.3 PSD, Glow plugs, white smoke?

Hello all,

I have an '02 7.3 PSD. I noticed last year in the fall that unless you let the truck warm up real well it was very loud, gutless and if you got on it right away it would belch out a lot of white smoke, start running rough, then quit. You can turn it back over with the pedal on the floor and it would slowly come to life still belching white smoke and only making 2000RPM in park. Let it warm a little and it is fine. Oh, did I say it is loud? I know my neighbor hate me in the winter when I click-ity-clack down the neighborhood at 4 AM at about 30 mph.

What I have researched so far are the following with no definitive answers
1) plug in at night (Done, easier start but still has to really warm up)
2) HPOP oil change (Seems to be a very subjective topic with no real positive linkage)
3) Change and keep oil level right (I do this anyway but don't see a connection or a difference)
4) Glowplugs and/or relay (just not sure here).

As far as the glow plugs, do they stay on for a while after the truck is running? Will the relay initially work and then fail under a load?

Thoughts and comments please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow, how many miles? It sounds like your injectors are just tiredddddddd.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This truck has 130K miles.

I read on the net somewhere how to change the injectors. How long will it take to replace if being completely cautious?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr_scout View Post
Hello all,

I have an '02 7.3 PSD.

What I have researched so far are the following with no definitive answers
1) plug in at night (Done, easier start but still has to really warm up)
2) HPOP oil change (Seems to be a very subjective topic with no real positive linkage)
3) Change and keep oil level right (I do this anyway but don't see a connection or a difference)
4) Glowplugs and/or relay (just not sure here).

As far as the glow plugs, do they stay on for a while after the truck is running? Will the relay initially work and then fail under a load?

Thoughts and comments please
I would think that if it is plugged in and still needs to run a bit, I'm wondering if it is injectors, not glow plugs. Changing the HPOP oil is one of those things that is arguable. Truth is, the oil in the HPOP gets cycled through the crankcase during engine operation, they are not separate systems.

Have you pulled codes to see if any are stored?
Glow plugs should normally stay on for up to 2 mins with the truck is cold, even though the wait to start light turns off.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not pulled the codes. I guess I should. I know the last time this had an issue the engine light came on and stayed on for the drive to the store. Went into the store but when I came back out, no light and truck ran fine.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr_scout View Post
I have not pulled the codes. I guess I should. I know the last time this had an issue the engine light came on and stayed on for the drive to the store. Went into the store but when I came back out, no light and truck ran fine.
I just went and hooked up the pocket code reader, no codes were stored.

Checked both with the ignition on and while running.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Did you figure this out?

I was curious if you found the solution to your problem?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard116 View Post
I was curious if you found the solution to your problem?
Well it seems, when the oil gets old the engine doesn't work as well. I am by no means an expert but apparently the injectors work off of oil pressure. When the oil gets bad it seems to cause this problem. I got the oil changed and it is all better.

Of course you are going to ask how old does the oil get. In my case it is not a straight answer. If there are plenty of good weather days I ride the motorcycle so my wife drives the car. So then it becomes a time thing. The oil can be in there for months, easily 6 months or more. As far as mileage, I try to get 6,000 miles out of each oil change. So if there are a lot of bad weather days, my wife drives the truck and I take the car. This means more miles are put on the truck in a shorter amount of time.

I am still watching it to see if the problem comes back. I will change the oil to see if it corrects it.

Fred
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Here is a video of my problem.

I just did an oil change as we bought this truck used. Watch this video and see if you have seen these problems before. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 2002 Ford F350 Cold Start Hard Start and White Smoke Need Help!!! - YouTube
Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard116 View Post
I just did an oil change as we bought this truck used. Watch this video and see if you have seen these problems before. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 2002 Ford F350 Cold Start Hard Start and White Smoke Need Help!!! - YouTube
That looks pretty similar to what mine would do and it is gutless until it warms up. However, the oil changes seem to help me out.

When mine does that I hold the starter much longer and my foot flat on the floor until it fires then I would feather the throttle sometime holding it wide open but only getting very very low RPMs.

I know the audio in your video can be deceiving but it sounds like yours bangs harder and louder than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.