Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to Diesel. Advice Needed

742 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MyTractorsSexy 
#1 ·
All,

My end goal is to get a 15k+ pound Toy Hauler and I'd like help making sure I buy the right truck. My starting assumption is to buy a used 7.3L...

1. Will the hitch installment require short bed vs long bed? Should I avoid certain cabin options like quad cab?
2. Is the 7.3L ideal or should I focus on a different motor?
3. Assuming it's been well-maintained, is there a mileage where the average powerstroke truck starts exploding and requiring repairs? Whether it's a motor rebuild or tons of little things? What is "high-mileage" or buyer beware?
4. Does a lifted truck change options?

I would like an older model without the frills and just plenty or reliable power. Any thoughts for a beginner?

#2 ·
:ORG welcome:

#3 ·
Cant go wrong with a 7.3.
Honestly theres no 'given' mileage but theres obvious things to check for..
i'd try n find a truck with around 150k or so at the most.. but in the same if I found a great truck with 200k i wouldnt hesitate either..

With a few bolt ons and some tunes a 7.3 can make some very good pullin power.. :) long bed is definitely wise for that.. can be done with either though..

Anyway good luck with the search and welcome!

#4 ·
i'm assuming your going to use a 5th wheel? If you are i wouldn't get a truck with more than a 6" lift on the truck, or you might find some problems with dragging.

#5 ·
As long as the engine had been maintained, I would buy a 7.3 with 300,000 miles. But the transmission would probably need to be replaced with a John Woods or a BTS if you are going to pull that heavy.

IMHO, get whatever cab style you like, but get a dually. :thumb:

#8 ·
depends on the tongue weight of the trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.