Not running. Please help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not running. Please help.

I've been driving my '93 IDI for about a month. Its been a decent runner until lately. The other night it started, ran for about 3 seconds, and died. After much trying, it eventually started again and ran fine the rest of that night. The next day, I started it, and it did the same thing. 3 seconds or so, and it died. Except this time it would not start again. Glowplugs? It starts initially, and i can hear the plugs clicking. Another suggestion I had was that the pump was losing it's prime over night. This could be in conjuction with the fact that it ran out of gas recently which I've heard is a no-no. I just need help, or I'm probably going to sell it. Thanks, Jake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
unless its real cold glow plugs not working wont keep it from starting.. sounds like a fuel problem to me for sure.. bump forya im not an idi guy myself.. hopefully someonee else can help ya out more. dont sell a good truck over a lil thing.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like losing it's prime to me also. Could be from either a fuel line leak or the lift pump is going out. Do you notice it smoking at all while cranking on it?

Try holding the schrader valve open on the filter housing while having someone crank on it. You should get fuel to spray out almost instantly. If not suspect fuel lines or lift pump. If you got air in the system then you will probably have to bleed the high pressure fuel lines to get it running again. You will need to take a 5/8" wrench and crack at least 4 of the fuel lines at the injectors. Crank the engine till you start to see fuel bubbling out around the end of the line. It probably won't spray out but should start to bubble out rather good. Once it's bubbling out tighten the lines back up and it should start, as long as the lift pump hasn't totally crapped out on you.

Lift pumps go out on these things and cause the same issue your having. They arn't that expensive to replace. In order to really check out the lift pump you should check it with a manual gauge.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for replies, guys. Does the lift pump just keep the fuel from losing it's prime? If so, I think that's probably what I'm looking at here. I think it is definitely fuel related, however I started changing glow plugs anyway- a different pain in the butt story. I spoke to several other mechanics and they also suggested that it was losing prime. What could I expect to pay for this part, and where is it located? And yes, I feel like I did see it smoke a little when I was struggling to get it to start, which is unusual- this truck never smokes at all.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dont know if it helps, i have a 03 7.3 that did that, and it was a fuel line/top end filter.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for replies. I think i've eliminated the lift pump, as the truck does run good once FINALLY primed. I think my failure is leaky injectors and connecting hoses. Just bought the kit to replace all of the hoses and seals within the injectors. When it is run you can visibly see minor leakage around the injectors which I, amaturely, dismissed as normal. Anyways, I am fairly certain this is where the problem lies. One question however. I bought a new fuel filter for it, and the new one does not have the drain fixture on the bottom of it like my current one has. Should i look for one that has the fixture, or do away with it? Thanks alot, Jake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.