Source for 7.3 OEM quality or better quality Water Pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Source for 7.3 OEM quality or better quality Water Pump?

I have been trying to research which water pump is the best quality and where to buy it to get the best price.

I've read conflicting reports on the Airtex Water Pump. Some say it is the original supplier for the 7.3 Navistar (wouldn't that make it a good quality?). Others don't like it.

I've also read about the Eastern Industries water pumps. Are they any good?

NAPA has a lifetime warranty on their pump, but I don't know if it is OEM quality. Anyone know?

Bottom line is that I want to install a quality pump. Thank you for your opinions and also let me know if you know a good source to buy the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have an airtex, so far so good got 20k miles on it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope to get some insight from you guys as to which water pump is the best quality.

My thinking was that if the Airtex water pump is basically the same one that Ford markets for about twice the price, then I would go with the Airtex because my brother had good luck with the OEM pump.

But if there is a better water pump out there, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Riffraff Diesel: OEM Powerstroke Water Pump

Clay at RiffRaff is one of the best vendors out there!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just put on a Airtex AW4114 on my 2000 7.3 from rockauto.com ($78 + shipping). It came with the cast elbow and o-rings, except can't remember if it had the t-stat o-ring or not. Quality looked top notch to me. Replacement took 4 hours with a helper and a 1/4" drive air ratchet. Only tough parts were getting the darn temp sending unit clip off and one of the catch tank cage nuts spun on us, could probably take off about 45 minutes without those problems.

For what it's worth, I have seen posts of 15,000 (amazon review) and 100,000+ mile Airtex installs that are OK. At $223 for a Motorcraft you could buy 2 Airtex (but still a PITA to change it again).

I bought a new Motorcraft t-stat housing from them also, I wouldn't mess around and try to use the old if it is rusted at all. Also got new rad hoses and from Advance, 195 deg Stant t-stat.

You can rent the fan pulley holding tool from O'Reilly's for free, and if you don't have the 1-7/8" wrench for the big nut, you can use a pipe wrench...mine looked rusty but it wasn't really very tight and the pipe wrench did not hurt the nut at all. Have a helper hold the fan pulley from the side with the tool.

In my opinion, use the Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer in the white tube to hold the big main o-ring in place, put a little bit at the corners and on the long parts...silicone may start to harden.

Here a link to a waterpump how to article: Ford Super Duty Water Pump Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com

Here is a link to Powerstroke Help youtube videos on 7.3 waterpump:

Sorry if more than you needed to know.

Last edited by bob00stroke; 10-13-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.