To 6.4...or not to 6.4... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To 6.4...or not to 6.4...

Looking for any input, comments and opinions on buying an '08 F250 CCSB Lariat 6.4 auto 4x4. Approx 80k miles, DPF deleted and laying in the bed of the truck. Appears to be straight piped and there is a tuner of some sort on the dash. Don't know anything else about it other than I think it's a local trade that i found on the Ford dealers lot in my town. Truck appears to be in very good condition. Sticker price in the window is 27,900 which IMO is a fairly normal starting point for a truck like that in my area.

Going to see what else I can find out about it tomorrow. I am a 7.3 guy and to be honest I don't know much about the 6.4s other than what I have heard about them...which isn't all positive.

And before my fellow OBS junkies attack me, I am NOT getting rid of my current truck!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the 6.4 and dont look back.

Then you will get to a point to where you are driving it all the time and start modding it more and tuned. After that you wont ever go back to a 7.3. Despite what the obs and 7.3ers say.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Lol yeah Jrod but I'm hoping to make an informed decision here, not just the usual "hey that's cool so I'm buying it".
Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Oilfield Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
Lol yeah Jrod but I'm hoping to make an informed decision here, not just the usual "hey that's cool so I'm buying it".
I know. Which what I said on the first line. Plus you posted it in a 6.4 section. For what I know, price is good, while there look at the build date so you can find out it's build date for the job#. I just remember the job 1s had rad issues and I think one other thing but overall is ok. The engine has a lot of potential. Oh look at the oil for any diesel fuel in it.

iPhone
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM

What's the deal with diesel in the oil? Injector cups or something? Didn't know that was a 6.4 issue.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Oilfield Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
What's the deal with diesel in the oil? Injector cups or something? Didn't know that was a 6.4 issue.
Some of them dumped fuel into the crank case which I think was due to the regens. But it's been awhile since I read up on 6.4s but that was one issue. They don't have. Injector cups since it's a common rail engine. But I'm gonna stop here and let the owners post.

iPhone
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Yeah I suppose not hey.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Yeah, the fuel in the oil is due to failed or incomplete Regen processes. In the even the truck goes into regen and is turned off before it completes. The excess fuel that was injected on the exhaust stroke will drain to the oil pan when the rings cool down.

Not a problem if your deleted.

I would get the VIN number and try to obtain the various oasis, carfax and any other reports you can find. Make sure all the TSB's have been addressed.

As Jarrod mentioned, the Job 1's had a radiator issue in the beginning. Since that truck has as many miles as you say, it was probably addressed a while ago if it had one of those radiators. They have since upgraded the radiators and applied a TSB to help prevent it splitting on other trucks.

These trucks don't like Bio or Water in the fuel, so watch what fueling stations you use. Unlike the 7.3's and 6.0's that would run on bad fuel, the HPFP in these 6.4's and even the 6.7's will be damaged with too much Bio or water in the fuel. There have been a number of reports of users being denied warranty when that happens.

You'll have to be more stringent in regards to the routine maintenance, watch your fluid levels and pay attention to the fuel you use. Otherwise, as mentioned by Jarrod. these engines are great. Both the engine and trans can take allot of abuse as daily drivers.

If you plan on using the HP the tuner makes, pay attention to your trans at that seems to be the weak link. But if your using it as a daily driver and towing vehicle you won't have to worry. Watch what tune levels and what your EGT's are when towing. The higher tunes disable allot of the safety measures in the stock Ford tuning, so it's up to the user/owner to pay attention to what the trucks doing.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd find out what the tuner is if its a H&S or spartan you're in good shape, otherwise... uh find out lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Stupid shift work.........just getting up and getting going

I went back and looked last night and I'm 99% sure it's an H&S Mini Maxx. Turns out a friend of mine sort of knows the truck and it's a one owner, local trade. I'm going to stop at the dealership this afternoon and have a look and see what else I can find out.

I thought there would be the usual yelling and fighting on this thread already about whether or not it was a good engine like always happens with the "should I buy a 6.0?" question lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.