Would like to know some general information in owning a Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would like to know some general information in owning a Diesel

So i bought a 03 f250 7.3 turbo diesel

This is the first diesel i have owned and would like to know
what i need to know about owning a diesel, whats different about owning a gas engine to a diesel

Please help me prepare my self in owning this as i want to take care of my truck=D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 11,006
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ummm lots.
Be sure to change the oil every 5k to 7.5k at the most. Fuel filter every 15k at the most. Other than that, that's about it. Yea there's lots of different things you can do to it to increase power for not much money.
Gauges are a good way to monitor other vital systems to make sure they stay safe. A free flowing intake and exhaust is always a good idea so the engine can breathe better.
You could get it custom tuned so that it can be tuned to how you want it and so it will be safe for your individual truck.
Adding a coolant and transmission filter is a good idea as well as flushing the coolant in it an putting in a CAT EC-1 rated ELC.
Many many things to be learned here from many many smart, helpful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
ummm lots.
Be sure to change the oil every 5k to 7.5k at the most. Fuel filter every 15k at the most. Other than that, that's about it. Yea there's lots of different things you can do to it to increase power for not much money.
Gauges are a good way to monitor other vital systems to make sure they stay safe. A free flowing intake and exhaust is always a good idea so the engine can breathe better.
You could get it custom tuned so that it can be tuned to how you want it and so it will be safe for your individual truck.
Adding a coolant and transmission filter is a good idea as well as flushing the coolant in it an putting in a CAT EC-1 rated ELC.
Many many things to be learned here from many many smart, helpful people.
So oil changed can go a little longer than a gas engine cause i know your suppose to cahgne it every 3000 miles.

If i get gauges, id prolly want to get coolent temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges correct? and these would be more accurate how exactly? do they have better sensors that come with them?

I do already have a new 4" diamond eye exhaust on the truck now. Next will be a cold air intake.
I have read up on some tuners and will be getting one when i get money, damn things expensive.

The trans and coolent filter is new, i didnt even know they made a coolent filter. Wouldnt even know where to begin with that or even what CAT EC-1 rated ELC is?

When i should i start putting the truck on a charger? like how cold?
and how do i know the warmer is working and what not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:36 PM
The Warden
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Trinity NC
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Use a good 15w40 oil(rotella) diesel oils have different specs. You may want to let your truck tell you when the block heater should be plugged in,but It can't hurt below freezing. Its helps the inside warm up quick
Try to buy your fuel at a station where they sell a lot of diesel. you don't want to get it a store that does'nt move much fuel. Drain your water separator once a month
BTW congratulations and
One more thing,
WE LIKE PICS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 11,006
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
So oil changed can go a little longer than a gas engine cause i know your suppose to cahgne it every 3000 miles.

These trucks use HEUI system. Oil gets press. up to 2500 psi or so to fire injectors. They like clean oil.

If i get gauges, id prolly want to get coolent temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges correct? and these would be more accurate how exactly? do they have better sensors that come with them?

Exhaust Gas Temp, Trans Temp (for an auto), and Boost gauge are the most common. Then maybe fuel press, coolant temp, sometimes high pressure oil pressure. The gauges come with their own sensors.

I do already have a new 4" diamond eye exhaust on the truck now. Next will be a cold air intake.
I have read up on some tuners and will be getting one when i get money, damn things expensive.

The trans and coolent filter is new, i didnt even know they made a coolent filter. Wouldnt even know where to begin with that or even what CAT EC-1 rated ELC is?

It came with a coolant filter? From factory they don't. It's an add on. By trans filter, I mean a spin on that gets added on later by someone. Not factory either. CAT EC-1 is a rating for an Extended Life Coolant. It comes with the Supplemental Coolant Additives diesels require and is very low maint, if at all and lasts a long time.

When i should i start putting the truck on a charger? like how cold?
and how do i know the warmer is working and what not

Like the batts on a charger? Good batteries, glow plugs, and glow plug relay should and have started trucks in -20*F or less. A lot of people plug in their truck (plug behind bumper on driver's side) to help warm it up before they start. It's a block heater and helps keep the block (coolant and oil) warm before you start it up. I like to plug mine in at about 30 and have it on a timer so it starts warming about 4 hrs before I get in it.
Replied in red.
There's all kinds of things to learn, and I suggest going to the 7.3 section and just reading. And reading. Then reading more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin200 View Post
Use a good 15w40 oil(rotella) diesel oils have different specs. You may want to let your truck tell you when the block heater should be plugged in,but It can't hurt below freezing. Its helps the inside warm up quick
Try to buy your fuel at a station where they sell a lot of diesel. you don't want to get it a store that does'nt move much fuel. Drain your water separator once a month
BTW congratulations and
One more thing,
WE LIKE PICS
well ill deff plug it in when it starts getting a little colder cause i like a warm truck ha. Is it bad to keep it plugged in over night?

I buy my fuel at 3 different gas stations and they very busy cause there truck stops ha.

The water separator? i can prolly figure out what it does but where is that?
I also use a fuel addative everytime i fill up my tank. I heard if you use that then your fuel system with last forever!

Ha i do have one pic on there, ill get some more in my profile soon!

jesilvas=

Thanks for the information

I was looking up this HEUI system thing. Dont know alot about it, but i read something about that diesels use unfiltered diesel and should use a very good synthetic oil in diesels? can you or someone explain that a little more to me?

DO you knwo anywhere to get some decent gauges for a decent price? ive seen some for a couple hundred dollars, is that about right for that?

That trans and coolent temp filters that i was talking about i mean that its something new to that i have heard ha ive never heard about a coolent filter before, ill have to look into that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin200 View Post
Use a good 15w40 oil(rotella) diesel oils have different specs. You may want to let your truck tell you when the block heater should be plugged in,but It can't hurt below freezing. Its helps the inside warm up quick
Try to buy your fuel at a station where they sell a lot of diesel. you don't want to get it a store that does'nt move much fuel. Drain your water separator once a month
BTW congratulations and
One more thing,
WE LIKE PICS
Thats a great looking truck you have there to BTW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 980
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
well ill deff plug it in when it starts getting a little colder cause i like a warm truck ha. Is it bad to keep it plugged in over night?

I buy my fuel at 3 different gas stations and they very busy cause there truck stops ha.

The water separator? i can prolly figure out what it does but where is that?
I also use a fuel addative everytime i fill up my tank. I heard if you use that then your fuel system with last forever!

Ha i do have one pic on there, ill get some more in my profile soon!

jesilvas=

Thanks for the information

I was looking up this HEUI system thing. Dont know alot about it, but i read something about that diesels use unfiltered diesel and should use a very good synthetic oil in diesels? can you or someone explain that a little more to me?

DO you knwo anywhere to get some decent gauges for a decent price? ive seen some for a couple hundred dollars, is that about right for that?

That trans and coolent temp filters that i was talking about i mean that its something new to that i have heard ha ive never heard about a coolent filter before, ill have to look into that
It's not bad to be plugged in overnight, but it draws something like 1100 watts so it might not be good for your elect bill. Water seperator is the same thing as your fuel filter under the plastic cover on your engine. I replace it every other oil change. I run a 5w-40 synthetic all the time. As far as what brand of syn oil to use, it's up to your budget really. Gauges I've seen are Isspro, and they have a package deal that incl. the boost, pyro, and trans, w/ the pillar mount for around $360 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 11,006
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
I was looking up this HEUI system thing. Dont know alot about it, but i read something about that diesels use unfiltered diesel and should use a very good synthetic oil in diesels? can you or someone explain that a little more to me?

Unfiltered diesel? Never a good idea. Injectors are too expensive. Synthetic is not necessary. But regular changing is.

DO you knwo anywhere to get some decent gauges for a decent price? ive seen some for a couple hundred dollars, is that about right for that?

DieselManor has good gauge packages, as well as most of the vendors on here.

That trans and coolent temp filters that i was talking about i mean that its something new to that i have heard ha ive never heard about a coolent filter before, ill have to look into that

Gotcha. DieselSite is a good source for those filter sets.
Don't mean to monopolize answering your questions. I just like to help.
And if I'm wrong, please tell me someone. I'm usually good about GIVING advice, but implementing it myself is another thing altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Don't mean to monopolize answering your questions. I just like to help.
And if I'm wrong, please tell me someone. I'm usually good about GIVING advice, but implementing it myself is another thing altogether.


"PowerStroke engines pump unfiltered oil from the sump to the high-pressure oil pump and then to the injectors. This means that to not change oil or to do anything that contributes to accumulation of dirt in the engine will subject your expensive injectors to wear and potential damage as particles suspended in the oil get forced into the injectors.

Because the injection system uses unfiltered oil directly from the pan , it makes total sense to use the very best synthetic motor oil after break-in. High quality synthetic lubricants can tolerate much higher temperatures without coking or breaking down. The best synthetic oils also keep the engine clean by being able to dissolve deposits and keep them safely in suspension to be filtered out or removed at drain time. It is a good idea to install a bypass oil filter on these engines. A fine bypass filter slowly filters the oil to remove particles as small as 2 microns. The full flow filter lets particles below 20 to 30 microns stay in the oil. It is the particles between 5 and 30 microns that are responsible for most of the wear on HEUI injectors and engines. Adding bypass oil filtration, in addition to the normal full flow oil filter, will get rid of these small particles, which would otherwise accumulate in the motor oil to become the cause of wear and failures.
"



This is what i found online on a site. Im not sure if this is right or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors