Armed forces question to you guys that served - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Armed forces question to you guys that served

I have read before of guys going into the military and learning mechanics and having it work out great. Im 18 love working on diesel vehicles, have a backround in manufacturing and am currently going to school for my AA in mechanical engineering. But at this point im not sure it's what I want to do and don't wanna spend almost 30k to go into a program if im not gonna love it. So im thinking going into one of the branches for three reasons.
1) money after 2-4 years served to complete do my truck or buy a 6.4
2) the experience after im finished
3) ability to finish a 4 year degree sue to the army programs where they pay for your college.

If some of guys that have gone through something similar or just have something to say I would love input, or even questions!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
The Silent Service

The Navy has done alright by me, I'm a submarine electronics technician with over 10 years served (and making it a career at this point, which wasn't the plan when I started).

I've seen a lot of good guys come into the service do their first tour of duty and get out. Many have gone into something different after the service than they had intended to, experience does that and will help ya know what you want to do on the outside after seeing a lot of different things.

For benifits, the pays is steady, and the Post 9/11 GI Bill for college is second to none. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM

yeah. It's just pretty difficult to 'guarantee' you're going to get a job you really want, and even if you do, to 'guarantee' you will really like it the way you thought you would. Of course that's true of anything in life, not just the military.

Hard to go wrong though, they will try to fool you at the recruiter, please take somebody with you to talk to them who has been in. Not necessary to be rude or call them out but you should have somebody hearing what you're being told who will know what is real and can help you wade through what's important.

Some college used to get you a couple of stripes right out of basic, starting your pay at a higher level. A 2 year degree used to get you eligible for warrant officer, though I know almost nothing about them since the AF retired their last WO about the time I got in. A 4 year degree and you can try to be an officer.

You will likely do quite well on the ASVAB and they will be falling over each other for you, offering you signing bonuses and such. You need help knowing what is worth while.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
The Silent Service

For Warrent's, I don't think the Navy takes folks in a CWO's anymore. There are a number of career programs though if you're thinking of taking that route, but for the Navy you need 14 yrs in. The officer programs are your 4 yrs degree types, but if you enjoy working with your hands you will want to stay enlisted.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Thats what a friend who did ROTC said on several of both your guys points. I scored well on my sat's and probably will do well on my ASVAB as well.

Experience is a main goal and figuring out what a I want in life. Being that I am smart and it isn't a last resort im hoping this will give me a wide selection of jobs and hopefully find something im interested in.

Also going in I don't think I want to make a career out of it but like you said and a friend told me a lot of people go in thinking that but end up making a career out of it anyways.

Also a friend mentioned like you said that having a 2 year degree will likely get you a rank and pay raise off the bat. Hopefully
Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM
The Silent Service

Go in, score as high as you can on the ASVAB and you'll be offered any job you want (quotas and your ship-out date, may guide that futher).

Another peice of advise for you, once you figure out which branch you intend to serve in, go do some independent research on the jobs you're interested in. Not just what they do, but also their manning %, and advancement trends. There's nothing worse than loving your job, only to not make rank quickly due to manning, and have to separate/cross rate into a new job at the end of your first contract.

I've tried twice now to get out, but my family and the economy make the service the right choice for me to make it a career.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Go in, score as high as you can on the ASVAB and you'll be offered any job you want (quotas and your ship-out date, may guide that futher).

Another peice of advise for you, once you figure out which branch you intend to serve in, go do some independent research on the jobs you're interested in. Not just what they do, but also their manning %, and advancement trends. There's nothing worse than loving your job, only to not make rank quickly due to manning, and have to separate/cross rate into a new job at the end of your first contract.

I've tried twice now to get out, but my family and the economy make the service the right choice for me to make it a career.
Thanks for your advice, input and help. It's definitly something I am going to put some time and effort to, on top of the fact that I just started my two year degree this semester so i have some time to think and make a decision and am in no rush to sign my life away just to have it bite me in the ***.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
The Silent Service

I completely understand, if there is anything I do to help let me know.

Also, you've probably already been told this, but start getting yourself in good physical shape. The biggest reason for folks terms being cut short early is not being within physical standards.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
I completely understand, if there is anything I do to help let me know.

Also, you've probably already been told this, but start getting yourself in good physical shape. The biggest reason for folks terms being cut short early is not being within physical standards.
Not in that way but i have been informed that they will turn people down or make you get in shape before sending you to basic training.

Luckily my dads friend has been in the service and is willing to go with me to the recruiters. He is also like a second father to me so I know he won't them pull any **** over on me.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Question: I forgot to mention I have a rod, three nails, a plate and seven screws in my leg. I forgot to mention because I don't even usually remember that I have it because I ahardly notice it. Is this gonna cause me any problems as far as this is concerned?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.