Water pump/radiator questions & How long do they last? 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Water pump/radiator questions & How long do they last? 2000 7.3

My brother has a 2000 7.3 Excursion. 230,000 miles. Original water pump and radiator. He plans on keeping it to 400,000 if possible.

Right now the radiator and water pump are not leaking coolant.

I took the serpentine belt off and grabbed the plastic fan to wiggle it. I was able to move it. I was able to move the water pump shaft approximately 1/25 of an inch (via the fan). This is only a guess, but my point is that the shaft has a small amount of play in it.

1. Should he "leave well enough alone" and keep a close eye one the coolant level?

2. Replace the radiator and water pump as preventative maintenance? If so, should anything else in the cooling system be replaced at the same time? (the radiator hoses are new).

3. Should I get a mechanic's stethoscope to listen for bearing noise in the water pump?

3. How long was it before your water pump and radiator needed to be replaced?

Thank you in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that is an amazing amount of miles for a factory 7.3 water pump, if it had a coolant filter i wouldnt be surprised but it doesnt from what you've said.. so i'd say its due to go sooner than later thats for sure.. but its simple enough to keep an eye on it, theres a weep hole that usually starts leaking on them.. mine just crapped out all at once and leaked gallons, oops.

That being said the radiators arent wear and tear items per say if everything isnt bent up, just give it a hose out(inside and out, when a water pump gets changed) and put on a coolant filter(diesel site sells the kit for a great price) and you're set to go. I also recommend a CAT EC-1 rated coolant because it is made for these motors.. the anti-cavitation properties in them are important.

Hope that helped ya out and welcome to the .org!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the CAT coolant, would it be ok to use the Ford recommended coolant along with the Conditioner, or should he go with the CAT? If so, where is the best place to purchase the CAT coolant.

Also, as you noted the vehicle does not have a coolant filter installed at this time. Is there a link on how to install a coolant filter? Thanks

The reason I was asking about the radiator is I noticed that it is a "plastic" radiator. My non diesel 94 Chevy Truck (please no flames has a plastic radiator also and at 290k miles it just had its 3rd radiator installed (including the original).

Again I appreciate your help.

I'm impressed by the heavy duty quality of the Excursion chassis and the 7.3 seems to be a very good engine.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If it aint broke don't mess with it. When the water pump starts to fail it will start to leak. Your play might be from the fan clutch. Being it attaches to the front of the water pump shaft. The fan clutch bearing could be getting wore out.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to mention. The thermostat was also recently replaced, but on another thread I read that the Motorcraft thermostat will fail in the open position... so it might be a good idea to replace the thermostat again also.

These forums are great and you guys are probably more knowledgeable than the dealerships (no offense to the dealers intended).
Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks BigCountry, good point. But after I checked the play, I put the serpentine belt back on the pully and could not move the fan/water pump shaft at all. Therefore I concluded that the fan was tightly attached to the pulley. Hopefully that is correct.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hopefully someone can give some additional input to the questions above. Also, are NAPA water pumps good? The advantage of the NAPA is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

315k miles and still original radiator. Just replaced the water pump at about 295k . . . but that was because I replaced the lower radiator outlet (hard pipe) gasket where it seals to the pump and the thermo housing and thermo. The bolts snapped off in the pump and I couldn't save it
So leave it alone. That pump will go forever. Or can.
If you wanna use the Ford coolant with the SCAs that's ok, but keep up maintenance on it. An EC1 rated ELC is pretty much maint. free. And lasts longer.
For a coolant filter, DieselSite is one of the bigger dealers/manufacturers for them. I modeled mine after their but did it myself. Not hard.

Some of OReilly's and AutoZone or Advanced comes with lifetime too.
But yea, looks good, get it.

Last edited by jesilvas; 09-17-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i've had great luck with the NAPA stuff i have, dont have water pump from there, unfortunately i have an airtex(DOH i hope it doesnt crap). anyway.. If it looks like quality i wouldnt hesitate, i do think NAPA is a great company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.