Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need help deciding...

591 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2005F250 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new service truck, trying to decide between the new f-550 and the dodge 5500. I hate to risk buying a first year engine, but my truck is getting miled out, and can't risk downtime. Now, I like the ford truck itself but am leary about the new engine after the 6.0 L debacle. I also realize the dodge has a new engine as well, but haven't researched all that much into either of them. I'm leaning towards the ford but would like input about the reliability of the new 6.4l, could you guys let me know if you are satisfied with your 2008 trucks? It's a tough choice, I'm not looking for performance per se, but reliability is the real issue, my business relies on this truck to roll every morning. Thanks for your honest opinions.

#2 ·
From all I have heard so far, the new 6.4s are running real strong with very few problems. I know there are some trucks out there with a few problems, but you will get that from any of them. As it sits right now, I would not be scared of getting one if you plan on keeping it in stock trim. The after market for them is still another story, but I think they are working on it pretty dang hard. Good luck with your choice.

#3 ·
I wouls have to vote for the Ford also, and probibly the same reasons- they are fixing the little quirks on the new engine and it should only get better... Anything new will take a few tries, but they seem to be quick to fix the issues to keep up the sales and get the diesels sold... which they should not have many carry over into next years markdowns... plus it looks sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.