Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 or 08 purcahsing advice

521 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bamnq6 
#1 · (Edited)
Man, the first post here and a spelling error in the title :doh:

Hello all-

I'll looking for some opinions on a impending powerstroke purchase. Current tow vehicle is a '04 explorer xlt 4.6. She's going thru yet another round of 5r55s transmission woes, so i think our time as friends is up...

What I tow: car-hauler (~1800#), miata (~2200), tires and tools (~500) for about 4500#. Not that massive and a pretty easy tow. Kinda pushing the explorer's 5500 # limit, but a 250 shouldnt really notice that it's even back there...

I tend to hang onto cars for a while and keep them pretty tidy. I'm considering a powerstroke f250 over a 5.4 f150 for longevity and fuel economy. Purchase prices are pretty similar.

Locally, I've got 2 trucks i'm interested in:

2005 f-250 6.0 PS crew cab Ranch King. 55k miles at $29k

and

2008 f-250 6.4 PS cab and a half (extended) Lariat. 76k miles at $28k

Any opinions which one to aim for? They both drive excellently, way better than my 2010 chevy 2500 company truck. The interior of the 08 is less dated than the 06, but they're both very well appointed. It's just me (no wife / kids) so the crew vs. extended cab isn't a big factor.

I do live in California, so I'm stuck with allllll of the emission gadgets on both trucks. Its sounds like the 6.4 has taken a bit fuel economy hit with the DPF. Will sticking to a 6L get me that much better fuel economy???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts-

Oh, and long live :icon_ford:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.